Friday, June 1, 2012

grow, grow, grow

Psalm 1:1-3
Blessed is the one
who does not walk in step with the wicked
or stand in the way that sinners take
or sit in the company of mockers,
2 but whose delight is in the law of the Lord,
and who meditates on his law day and night.
3 That person is like a tree planted by streams of water,
which yields its fruit in season
and whose leaf does not wither—
whatever they do prospers.



It’s the time of year when I love walking around in my yard to see what is growing. I never get tired of seeing the progress through the Summer as things change, bloom, and bear. Amazing. The relationship that I have with my yard is humbling. I do not make things grow, but I can influence the growth. I can plant a tiny seed into the earth and it will emerge as a plant somehow. Our Creator does miraculous things every day in our world.
I’ve been praying lately about my similar role as a mother. I can really neither take credit or blame for my child’s health, progress, or character. I certainly have an influence, but God is their true Gardener. He has been creating them from the very beginning, even before I knew. I want to resist the temptation to think that God’s mercy in their life is somehow my doing. I know I fall into this when things go wrong and I wonder how I failed to protect them, teach them, help them. That is evidence that deep down I believed myself to be their creator, deserving credit for His merciful ways. May our understanding of our place in our kids’ lives be appropriate, always acknowledging the One who ultimately gives the growth.
Prayer:
Creator and Lord, You have shown loving mercy to my children from the start. May my efforts in parenting point to Your great love. Remind me as I pray for my children that they belong to You. Give me the wisdom and strength to tend to their needs while praising You for the miraculous ways they are growing. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to join us today at Growing HIS Kids!