Thursday, July 14, 2011

Where's My Sign?

And God said, "This is the sign of the covenant that I make between me and you and every living creature that is with you, for all future generations: I have set my bow in the cloud, and it shall be a sign of the covenant between me and the earth. Genesis 9:12-13

Now that’s what I’m talking about. That is a sign!

Throughout the past several months, my husband and I have been praying, talking, and praying some more in an effort to make a decision that will impact our children significantly. I specifically have been praying for a sign. I don’t want a faint whisper in my ear, or a hint of a feeling that we are making the right decision. I want the modern day equivalent of Gideon’s dew, of Aaron’s staff, or of the lamb’s blood that saved the Israelites from the angel of death.

I want a drum roll and a large neon arrow pointing to the right choice, and if at all possible I would like to have it recorded to make sure I don’t miss it; so I can replay it when I have doubts. I have told God all this, but I continue to wake in the morning to a quiet, softly lit room, and so far nothing has suddenly appeared in my DVD player.

How can I be certain we will make the right decision? I guess I can’t, at least not yet. There are times when God’s Word is absolutely clear about His will for our children. Times that we can say; I know he wants my children to be baptized. I am certain he wants them in church with other believers. There is no doubt He wants me to discipline them thereby giving them the boundaries they need to learn and grow to His glory.

But what about those instances when multiple choices seem to be God pleasing, and there are so many details to consider. The idea is just mind boggling. I feel like I’m walking in darkness. I need a guide.

And I will lead the blind in a way that they do not know, in paths that they have not known I will guide them. I will turn the darkness before them into light, the rough places into level ground. These are the things I do, and I do not forsake them. Isaiah 42:16

I praise the Lord that I can be confident in His promises to lead me in this way I do not know. Confident in the power He has to use our decision for the benefit of our family and those in our community, in spite of ourselves; confident that He will not forsake us.

Within the past week we have finally made our decision. No drum roll. No neon sign. Guided by prayer, research, and study of His word we have decided. I will start teaching again, my own children, in our home. And although I am at times filled with doubt, I know that God will continue to bless my children. No matter our choice, our sin filled, non-omnipotent choice. His will, well, it will be done. What an amazing God we serve! Our guide in all the paths we have not known.

Jesus,

Guide us always in the decisions we make for our children. Use our questions and uncertainties to your glory, and bless our family with your promise to light our way. Help us to lead our children in your truth, and make us strong examples, trusting in your faithfulness.

Amen.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for stopping by my blog. Yes sometimes it would be nice if God would just hit me on the head to make sure I knew I was making the right decision, I just have to pray and trust.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather, I admire your courage and strength in the Lord. You are such an amazingly talented woman with a heart for serving others. What a wonderful opportunity for you to take such a huge step into a homeschooling role to further serve your children!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to join us today at Growing HIS Kids!