Thursday, July 28, 2011

Tut, Tut, Looks Like Rain

The sum of your word is truth, and every one of your righteous rules endures forever. Psalm 119:160

It rained! It was just a little bit, but it was more than we, and our plants had seen in weeks. Yes, we had been watering, but there is nothing like the rain to produce fruit. Now instead of little bitty cantaloupe, and watermelon that kept making an appearance and then shriveling up and dying, we have fruit that just might make it. Our little bit of rain brought life renewed.

The Word of God is like the rain. Though God provides enough for us to swim in, even His little sprinkles have great power. And, simply put, without it we die.

My desire as a mother is to drench my children in His promises, but sometimes days pass with no rain at all. Every day arguments are resolved, scraped knees are bandaged, and my children are taught, but too often with my words, not His. And while my resolutions seem to work for a time, they can be inconsistent, and certainly do not produce any lasting fruit.

Things I see and hear from my children each day remind me that I should be more prepared to answer them using His words instead of my own. So, I look to the One who endures and His life renewing Word. What exactly does the Bible have to say to my children?

When they do things like… God says…

Use unkind speech with one another. – He died for us so that we may live together with him. Therefore, encourage one another and build one another up. 1 Thess. 5: 10-11

Play too rough or violent. – Be imitators of God as beloved children. Eph. 5:1

When they say things like… God says…

I’m scared. - The LORD is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer, my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold. I call upon the LORD, who is worthy to be praised, and I am saved from my enemies. Psalm 18:2-3

She hit me first! – See that no one repays anyone evil for evil, but always seek to do good to one another and to everyone. 1 Thess. 5:15

I always have to… - Do not grow weary in doing good. 2 Thess. 3:13

Am I pretty in this?I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Psalm 139:14

I don’t have anyone to talk to. - Cast all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you. 1 Peter 5:7

It’s too hard. I can’t do it. I’m not good enough. - But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. 2 Cor. 12:9

I don’t want to do the dishes. - If anyone is not willing to work, let him not eat. 2 Thess. 3:10

I forgive you. (Said in a manner that makes me question whether or not they know the meaning of the words.) - Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you. Eph. 4:32

Why do we have to do devotions? Get up for church? Memorize our Bible verses? – But these are written so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ the Son of God, and that by believing, you may have life in His name. John 20:31

As we speak with our children, may we always be prepared to give an answer for the hope that we have.

Do you have others that you would like to share? I’d love to hear them. Tut, tut, looks like rain. Get ready for harvest!

Heavenly Father,

May your Word endure in my heart forever. Forgive me when I try to speak for you and get it all wrong. Thank you for making the Bible so available to my family. Empower me to surround my children with your promises of life and salvation each day.

In Jesus Name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to join us today at Growing HIS Kids!