Monday, July 11, 2011

Our Plans vs. God's Plans

“For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,” declares the Lord. “As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts
than your thoughts.”
Isaiah 55:8-9


Before our family moved from Texas to Nebraska almost three years ago, we did a lot of
planning and dreaming. We made lists, saved money, carefully packed boxes and called all of
the necessary service providers to transfer records. We toured home after home to find just the
right space in just the right location. We even created the image of the perfect small town family
by taking possession of the cutest puppy ever. Our first pet!! And for 2 years we struggled
to maintain this image by diligently walking and playing with Mav, taking him to the vet at
appropriate times, boarding him at Camp Bowwow during our vacations and buying him an
ample supply of his favorite chew sticks.

Unfortunately, none of our planning prepared us for the reality that Mav was just born to be
a farm dog. His instinct to chase squirrels was stronger than his obedience to us. His energy
was too big for our house. His protective nature caught any guest to our house by unpleasant
surprise. We knew we would have to find some willing home for him and yet we lacked the
confidence that anyone would welcome this bundle of energy into their home. With heavy
hearts we made inquiries in the hopes that he would land in a loving home.

Then we heard about a local farmer who was looking for just such a dog. His trusted
companion, a rat terrier named Buddy, had recently been killed. He and his wife were
interested in meeting Mav. We brought Mav to the farm, uncertain how he would react. Would
he bark at his would-be owners? We shouldn’t have worried. Mav instantly warmed up to the
farmer and his wife and quickly took ownership of his new surroundings.

These days, Mav spends time riding next to his master in the tractor or the semi truck, freely
running through the yard showing the squirrels who is boss, and curling up at the feet of the
lady of the house, protecting and loving her as he was born to do.

God provided a better home for my dog than I could ever have dreamed of. It seems as if God
paid attention to every detail of Mav’s life. So how could I possibly doubt his plans for my life
or the lives of my loved ones? Yet there are many times that I do just that. I question his ability
to watch and keep my children. I cling to them as if they have no one else who loves them as
I do. I plan and plot and worry over their future as if my meddling might prevent some awful
catastrophe. I would do well to remember God’s love for my pet and realize how infinite that
same love is for me and my family.

Dear Lord: Thank you for your infinite love. We often believe we have to take charge of our own
circumstances or at least meet you somewhere in the middle. Help us to turn all of our lives
over to your perfect control. In Jesus’ name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to join us today at Growing HIS Kids!