Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Where there is the Word, there is fruit.

Thy word is a lamp unto my feet,
and a light unto my path.
Psalm 119:105

Being that we are a pastor's family, we have many Bibles in our home.  There's one on my nightstand--it used to be my Grandma's.  There's a few on our bookshelf.  My old Concordia self-study is on a shelf in the kitchen.  My Lutheran Study Bible  is downstairs on my desk.  Emma has a children's Bible in her room, and Ethan's Bible for school is in his desk in his room.  And I'm sure Dan has a couple floating around here somewhere.

With all those Bibles, I should have plenty of opportunity to study God's word.  But I don't.  As I listened to a sermon a couple of weeks ago, I realized I don't study God's word nearly enough.  The pastor, a good friend of ours (Pastor Matthew Ruesch), mentioned that the Word of God is as important as breathing, drinking water, or eating food.  A lightbulb went off in my head!  Would I ever go without doing any of those things?  I think not.  When we're thirsty, we get a drink of water.  Most of us feel hunger coming on and are quick to satisfy it.  And we breathe without even thinking about it.  Yet we continually go without studying God's Word.

Pastor Ruesch continued:  In His word, God is making Himself present with His people.  The word of god has power in the lives of those people.  The center of everything we do as those people of God has to be His word.  Eat His body.  Drink His blood.  Study His word.  Do those things, and YOU WILL GROW.  God's word says so, and it's His promise.  Reading His word daily is not a command, it is an invitation.  Where there is the Word, there is fruit.

Think of it this way:  Remember when you had your baby(ies)?  Remember Grandma Schmidt coming with a beautiful crocheted blanket?  Now imagine that you said to Grandma Schmidt, "Oh, sorry.  I've got ten other blankets.  I just don't need this one.  Here, take it back."   How would Grandma Schmidt feel?  Pretty bad.  It's the same thing with God's word.  Disregarding God's word is the same as refusing a gift someone has made for you.  When you think of it that way, it's pretty hard not to sit down on the spot and start reading, right?

We pray:  Dear Heavenly Father, I praise you for Your Word.  Thank you for the promises it holds. Thank you for the forgiveness of sins that I receive within its pages.  Help me to stay connected to you by studying Your Word.  In Your name we pray, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to join us today at Growing HIS Kids!