Thursday, July 7, 2011

The Real Housewives of…

Proverbs 31:10-12; 28-30
10 [a]A wife of noble character who can find?
   She is worth far more than rubies.
11 Her husband has full confidence in her
   and lacks nothing of value.
12 She brings him good, not harm,
   all the days of her life.
28 Her children arise and call her blessed;
   her husband also, and he praises her:
29 “Many women do noble things,
   but you surpass them all.”
30 Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting;
   but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised.

OK, confession time…My name is Liesl and I enjoy watching reality television.  The show, “The Real Housewives of…” happens to be one of my favorites.  Each season, Bravo TV follows a group of women, from various cities around the country, who agree to have their lives filmed as they try to balance the demands of marriage, family, motherhood, friendships and work.  The network would like you to believe that these women are “just like you and me,” but live in bigger houses, drive fancier cars and live privileged lives.  The lives these women lead (at least what is portrayed on camera) involve gossip sessions about one another, family fighting, financial troubles, marriage problems and feelings of self-doubt over their own inadequacies as a wife and a mother.

My first thought after watching the show was that my life was nothing like theirs, and with each fight and episode, I further distanced my own "real life" from theirs.  The reality is, however, I am a “Real Housewife,” (minus the fancy car or big house).  If I was followed by a television crew the ugliness of my sin would be on full display for all to see too.  My gossip sessions with friends, spats with my husband, impatience with others and my own feelings of self-doubt that I struggle with on a daily basis as I try to juggle marriage, motherhood and work would provide viewers with more than enough material to watch. 

Proverbs 31:10-31 is the Biblical description of the virtues for a wife and mother.  I remember the first time I read this Bible passage, I literally sank lower and lower in my chair as each verse was read wondering how I would ever be like this woman.  The truth is, without Jesus, I can’t and I remain a “real housewife.”  Yet, through Him and by His grace and mercy, I am a “really forgiven housewife,” where my sin and shortcomings are made perfect through the forgiveness given to all of us through Jesus' sacrifice on the cross.   

Dear Jesus,  Thank you for giving me the opportunity to be both a wife and a mother.  Help me to show kindness, compassion and love to the many people you have placed in my life.  In your name I pray, Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to join us today at Growing HIS Kids!