Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Happy St. Nicholas Day!

Remember your leaders, those who spoke to you the word of God. Consider the outcome of their way of life, and imitate their faith. Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.

Hebrews 13:7-8

Most parents I know have at one point or another questioned the inclusion of Santa Claus in their Christmas celebration. “When my children discover that Santa is make believe, how will I convince them that the same is not true about Jesus?” I’ve been asked this on several occasions and the concern is valid. We want our children to trust that even though the world will tell them all sorts of crazy lies, the things coming out of our mouths can be absolutely trusted.

The worldly stories told around Christmas time are intoxicating. They are about a fat man in a fuzzy red suit with flying reindeer that somehow fits down every chimney. They certainly foster the creative and inquisitive use of imagination I want my children to use to the fullest extent of their abilities. This is a terrific story, but it’s not the word of God. So how do I balance encouraging the excitement of the season, and being grounded in Christ at all times? Can I have it both ways? Maybe.

I have never been one to over exaggerate the idea of Santa, but when my children talk about making cookies for Santa I roll out the dough. My children have learned well from this world and can tell you all about jolly old St. Nick. He’s the guy that leaves gifts in their stockings depending on whether they have been naughty or nice. This is what the world knows of Santa. They seem to know him very well. Maybe not.

Today my family will read the story of Saint Nicholas and learn where the tales of this legendary figure really come from. They will hear about a real man who gave to others when they needed it most; who gave in thankfulness to God for the great gift of His Son. They will learn about a man who was persecuted for his faith, and who knew that the gifts of forgiveness, life, and salvation were necessary only because he was on the naughty list.

Yes, we will be hanging stockings and setting out cookies on Christmas Eve too. So, here’s the big question. When I’m asked if Santa Claus is real, what will I say? Maybe I’ll never be asked. Maybe my children will be too wrapped up in Luke 2 to care. But if (when) I’m asked, my response will go something like this...

Saint Nicholas is not a man who lives at the North Pole, but he was a man of God who was from what is now the country of Turkey. He knew that Jesus came to save creation from sin and he shared that news with others. He took care of his neighbors, but did so in secret because that’s what the Word of God instructs us all to do. We continue what he began about 1700 years ago, giving gifts to one other and to those in need, in secret, in celebration of the gifts of forgiveness, life, and salvation that we have been given through a baby born in Bethlehem.

*I would encourage you to watch this. http://www.lhmmen.com/studyvideofull.asp?id=13640 It’s a video of Ken Klaus, who was the speaker of The Lutheran Hour for many years, sharing some great information on Saint Nicholas.

Blessings as you prepare to sit once again at the feet of your newborn King.

Heavenly Father,

Teach me how to balance the ideas that the world has of Christmas with the truth of your Word. Help me to honor the sacrifice of your Son in how I teach my children throughout this season. Thank you for the salvation my family has because of Him.

In Jesus Name, Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to join us today at Growing HIS Kids!