Thursday, October 27, 2011

Is Sunday Morning Worth It?

“For though I am free from all, I have made myself a servant to all, that I might win more of them.”
1 Corinthians 9:19

“I never get to do what I want to do, it’s not fair!” Again, I am left feeling like the “Loser Mom of the Year” as I am forced to pull the almost 11 year old out of the pool (at a birthday party of all things...) after only a half an hour because her almost 4 year old sister is cold and needs a nap. (It was 1 o’clock afterall, every little kid’s birthday party seems to fall right at nap time. Why is that? Mental note: this year our birthdays will be celebrated over pop-tarts and waffles.)

In reading over the above mentioned Scripture, I am also especially reminded of Sunday morning worship services. Sitting in the pew, ready to sing and be inspired by the divine Word of God; to have my fume-driven emotional “tank” filled.... ahhh. I’ve been waiting for this all week only to look down and notice that my eight year old son is lying on the floor attempting to crawl under the pews during the prayers. Or during the sermon, when I'm distracted by the ripping of paper and desperate pleas to leave church to get a drink of water. Or pee. Or, let’s tell the truth, do anything other than sit there because of the boredom that is certainly doing damage to young, vulnerable minds! I think to myself, “ I JUST WANTED TO ENJOY WORSHIP!”

It’s in the midst of those moments and tenderly afterwards that God’s gentle nudging is felt pulling on my heart. It’s not about me. It’s not about them. It’s only and ever all about HIM. Why do we sacrifice for our children or those we love? Why did He sacrifice for His children and the ones He loves? WOW. Paul told the Corinthians to set themselves aside for the weak among them. God sets aside His power and glory for the weak like us. That SO makes it all worthwhile, doesn’t it? His life: given freely for our sins. Our time, conveniences, comforts, preferences: given freely to those we love for the purpose of teaching and edifying them in the Word of God and the ways of Christ.

Remember...God’s gifts are always there! Even when we’re distracted. Even when we feel we’re giving more than we get in return. And, yes, even when we’re wrestling the communion cup out of pudgy little fingers....

Heavenly Father, we praise you for the freedoms we have in You and submit to your will in our lives. Let me be an example of truth and strength to those you put before me today in all that I say and do. In Jesus’ name, Amen.

2 comments:

  1. This devotion applies to my life right now! At church on Sunday, my 5 year old got a hold of one of the individual communion cups before I could get to her. I was so frazzled when I saw her little hands all over it. When we sat down, she said she was just getting one for me:) Sweet, but at the time, I was furious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We talk about this weekly. Thank you for the thoughts!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to join us today at Growing HIS Kids!