Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Wonderfully Made

I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.”
Psalm 139:14

I was about 10 pounds away from my “pre-baby” weight when my son was 9 months old. One month later, we found out that we were expecting baby # 2. It has been a year now since her birth, and I have baby weight on top of baby weight to lose. It’s a struggle to get dressed each day because nothing really fits right, and we certainly don’t have the budget for me to buy a new wardrobe. I just don’t feel great because I can’t seem to find time to exercise, and I eat whatever is most convenient rather than what is healthy. It’s so easy to get down on myself about this, and it seems to be a common problem among women. Some of it is vanity, sure. I would love to be able to grab anything out of my closet and feel comfortable wearing it. Some of it is just feeling generally yucky because I don’t have time to take care of myself. I know I am a much better wife and mom when I feel better physically.

At the same time, what my body went through twice in the last two and a half years is pretty amazing. God used my body to grow a human being! God saw my children’s unformed bodies and knit them together in my womb. I had the miraculous experience of laboring and giving birth to them. I was blessed to be able to nurse them and still enjoy that relationship with my daughter. All of this from my physical being; “Such knowledge is too wonderful for me, too lofty for me to attain!”

I know I need to make time for exercise and make better food choices because I believe that God wants us to take care of ourselves. I also know that I may never look the way I did before having children. Instead of feeling depressed about it, I want to find ways to help myself get healthier while rejoicing in what brought me to this place in my life. I want to join David and say, “I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.”

Heavenly Father,
It’s easy to get caught up in things of this world like wanting to look a certain way. Help us to remember that we are wonderfully made whether we are a size 2 or a size 22. Give us the wisdom we need to find ways to take care of ourselves as we focus on taking care of our families.
In Jesus’ Name,
Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to join us today at Growing HIS Kids!