Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Waiting

For still the vision awaits its appointed time;
it hastens to the end—it will not lie.
If it seems slow, wait for it;
it will surely come; it will not delay. (Habakkuk 2:3)

I am waiting. At this point, there's really nothing else I can do. We have just over a week until baby's due date, and everything (as far as I know) is ready. I've learned all I can stand to learn about labor and delivery; baby's room is ready with all the furniture, gear, gadgets, and clothes we can pack into it; and thanks to my mom, we have about two weeks' worth of meals in our freezer. The only thing I can think of to do yet is pack a bag for the hospital, and the only reason I haven't done that is because I need to have something to do.

When I know exactly when something is going to happen, I don't mind the waiting so much. But when something could happen at any time, waiting is mind-numbing. The days seem so long, and the nights...the nights wouldn't be so bad if I could just sleep, but every time I have to get up or every time my aching body wakes me up and I have to change to a (slightly) more comfortable position, all I can do is wonder how much longer until baby comes. So. I'm waiting.

I know Advent is still several weeks away, but at this time of year, my thoughts to another great waiting. Just as the Israelites of the Old Testament waited for their promised Savior, so we today wait for the return of our Savior. I wonder: what do we do to prepare for His coming? In the same way that we prepare a room for a new baby, do we prepare our hearts for Jesus' return? Are we engaged in His Word, growing in our faith, and sharing His good news with others?

Habakkuk reminds us that the time will come, it will not delay. The promise of a Savior was fulfilled in Jesus, and His promise to return to us will also be fulfilled. We can rest assured in this promise, and in another--when we grow impatient or forgetful or self-reliant, we have the promise that God loves us still and forgives us. What an amazing God we have, who keeps His promises to us!

Father, as we wait for your return, keep us mindful that you fulfill your promises. Keep us steadfast in our waiting. Even so, we ask that you come quickly, Lord. In Jesus' name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to join us today at Growing HIS Kids!