Wednesday, May 9, 2012

square one

Glory in his holy name;
let the hearts of those who seek the LORD rejoice.
Look to the LORD and his strength;
seek his face always. 1 Chronicles 16:10-12

As the exhausted owner of a new dog, I signed us up for puppy kindergarten. I didn’t know what to expect. What magical maneuvers would they share that would shift the chaos into order at my house? The lesson of the day was teaching the dog to make eye contact and focus. Hold the treat in your hand near your face and move it away slowly. When she looks at you instead of the treat, give it to her. My kids were not impressed with the progress we made that day, but it surely made an impression on me. The instructor said that when the dog learns to focus, she will be ready to obey. It is the key to all my other behavioral hopes and dreams.
Having kids has offered me tons of spiritual lessons and parallels to my relationship with God. My puppy is offering me another great perspective. It is more comforting to think of myself as His child, but also appropriate to think of myself as less than that in His household. Learning to obey Him, hearing what He’s asking me to do, and knowing how to do it will also require a fair amount of time simply focusing on Him.

I'd like to start at square one and just do my best to seek Jesus' face today.

Prayer: My Master and Lord, you are so good to me. My heart delights in your gifts and mercy. Please give me patience in my discipleship journey as I learn to focus on you. Help me to listen for your voice today and be ready to obey You in big and small ways. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to join us today at Growing HIS Kids!