Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Accepting the Mission

Only let each person lead the life that the Lord has assigned to him, and to which God has called him.  This is my rule in all the churches.  1 Corinthians 7:17

I have always been entranced by missionaires.  No matter what land they are called to serve, their experiences are so raw, so real, so juxtaposed against the average American lifestyle.  When they share their stories, goosebumps of awe sprout from my skin.  My mind often wanders at times and carries me to the possiblity of sharing God's love with some far-off group, living in the simplest of conditions, eager to learn and grow.  Then, I feel a gentle nudge of the Holy Spirit.  Not now.  Maybe some day.

We're not all chosen to be traveling missionaries.  What we Christians do have in common is this:  From Acts 20:28- We are to be shepherds of the church of God, which He bought with His own blood.  And from Romans 15:13- God fills us with all joy and peace as we trust in Him, so that we may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.

Now, I don't know about you, but if I'm overflowing with something, I want to share it- not let it go to waste.  Through the grace of God, I am overflowing with hope.  I do not have to travel to remote places to share this hope in our Savior.  Our eveyday life gives us ample opportunity.  Right now, for such a time as this, I have been called by God to be a wife, a mother, a church member, a member of the community of Roswell, a friend, and a teacher.  While my kids do indeed take me on barbaric journeys for which I am hardly equipped, while I am indeed shepherding a wayward flock under the roof of my own home, and while my human limitations have shown themselves much like a shipwreck, let's face it- I'm no Paul.  If you traced my journeys on a map, you'd be unimpressed.  With that being said, I can learn from Paul and apply his example to my own vocation and calling.

When Paul and Barnabas encountered the faithless teaching of circumsision for salvation in Acts 15, Paul and the Jerusalem Delegation took great measures to defend the doctrine of salvation through Christ alone.  They sent a letter to the church in Antioch to remind them of God's word and lighten their burden.  There is my first debriefing for my home-land missions:  Stay grounded in God's word, stick to the truth of salvation through Christ alone, and encourage others.

Throughout Acts, Paul relates to his various audiences before declaring the truths of God's eternal love through Christ.  These audiences range from intellectuals, polytheists, cosmopolitans, pagans, Jews, and Gentiles.  There's the 2nd part of my debriefing for my God-given homefront mission:  Connect with others without compromising the truth.

Also throughout Acts, Paul is tormented.  He's stoned.  He's mocked.  He's imprisoned.  He's insulted.  He's beaten.  But he keeps going, knowing the power of Christ's resurrection is in him.  This power is greater than his circumstances.  There is the mission code I am to adhere to as well:  Never give up.  Keep my eye on the prize.  Finish the race.  So, who is your Philippian jailer, truly hungry for the Word of God?  Where is your Athens, lost amongst idols?  Where is your Antioch, confused and in need of Christ-centered encouragement?  Where is your Ephesus, lost in darkness and in danger of false teaching?  Who is your Thessalonica, fellow believers in need of encouragement to "stand fast in the Lord" (1 Thess. 3:8)?  Who are your fellow shipmates on a journey to Rome, needing peace and strength to endure a storm?  Do we need to travel afar to weather such missions?  Do I accept my homefront mission with my husband, with my children, in my church, as a member of the community of Roswell, as a friend, as a teacher?  Yes, with the help of God, in Christ Jesus.

Dear God, Author and Perfector of our faith-    When I feel uninspired by the asthetics surrounding me, remind me that there is simplistic beauty in cooking healthy meals every night, changing diapers, greeting strangers at church, picking up trash in a public park, and encouraging a friend.  These duties are all a part of Your master plan.  In Jesus name, Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to join us today at Growing HIS Kids!