Friday, April 1, 2011

Idea Day: Things to Help You Survive, and Even Thrive in Worship

Asking small children to sit still and listen for five minutes is difficult, so sitting through an entire worship service can be especially challenging. Here are some thoughts from our writers.

Heather M - My older children are at the point now that they can sit and color the children's bulletin, and look at books, or follow along with the service. But for my youngest, (14 months) I usually try to pack a few things for church that she doesn't see everyday. Touch and Feel books work well, foam puzzles with larger pieces, and stickers each provide a few minutes of entertainment. I do pack a snack for her, usually a trail mix with a variety of things to choose from. The older ones got a snack until the age of four or five, and when they got to about 2 1/2, I wouldn't give them their snacks until right before the sermon.
I have to be honest, I find that many times I end up taking my little one out of the sanctuary, but I don't ever put her down to play. We will stand in the back, and watch from there. There are some days when I don't get to participate in very much of the service, if any, but I know from experience that things do get better.
Your children will benefit greatly from being in worship regularly. Some days they will be well behaved, and some days they won't, and at times the good days will seem few and far between. Keep going! They will learn how to worship their Savior without making you blush, really, they will.

Esther - We have a bag of coloring books/crayons/drawing paper that we only bring on Sundays. Once the kids are in kindergarten they are expected to hold a hymnal, stand when we stand, etc. Now that Ethan is in 2nd grade and participating in chapel, he can follow along quite well, but I do allow them to draw during the sermon. When they were really small, we had quiet church toys. I've always had the same policy as Heather--if we need to exit church for a "corrective interview" we go to the restroom, NEVER to the nursery. Otherwise they just act up to go play. When Emma and Zach were smaller suckers were my saving grace--I'd pull them out during the sermon. I think having your kids in worship is so, so important. They pick up on more than you realize. I've heard Zach singing the liturgy around the house! I've had other people apologize to me for their own kids being "naughty" during church, and usually, they're not naughty, they're just "active." We all have our bad times, I've had my share of leaving church in tears. But they get so much from the service!!!

Share your thoughts with us. What tricks do you have up your sleeve when it comes to enjoying church with your family?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to join us today at Growing HIS Kids!