Monday, April 4, 2011

Worry

“Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me. In my Father’s house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for
you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. You know the way to the place where I am going.”

John 14:1-4

My ten year old is a thinker. He is also a worrier. I believe he thinks about things so hard that
they actually become real to him. For example, I am certain that he fully believes that he will
one day be a professional baseball player. This is real to him. So how does this tie into worry?
He is worried that the small town high school that he will probably attend is not big enough to
attract the attention of the scouts that will need to notice him.

Now I’m not 100% certain that Joseph will attend our small town high school. I can come up
with about 3 scenarios that could alter my imagined future for him. But chances are pretty good
that he will play on our small town team. If God intends for him to play professional baseball,
He will make that happen in spite of where we live.

Another issue that he spends a lot of time thinking about is heaven. He just can’t imagine what
it will be like and no amount of explanation on my part seems to comfort his unease. I have
to admit my own uncertainty about what heaven is like. Perhaps this is why I fall short in my
reassurances. But really, all we need to know is that heaven is the place where Jesus will be
with us. What the gates are made of, whether or not my voice will blend perfectly with the angel
choirs, if there are trees and flowers and grass, what age I will be, or even if our pet dog will be
with us are the things I might spend time wondering about. However, I never need to worry
about the very deepest longings of my soul being met. The creator of the universe Himself will
take me to be with Him in the place He has prepared for me. That thought is better than any
human ideas of the perfect eternity.

Prayer: Dear Jesus, you know us and understand our worries. Help us to realize that your
plans for us and our future far exceed human expectations. Comfort us with your presence and
reassure us with your promises. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to join us today at Growing HIS Kids!