Thursday, April 28, 2011

Show Me

“Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.” Hebrews 11:1

I grew up in the state of Missouri, which is popularly known as “The Show Me State”. The idea is that unless you “show me” what you are saying is true, I will not believe it.

I don’t know if it is because I grew up in the “Show-Me” state, but I am a planner and I like to be able to see how everything is going to work out. Show me that you are a good baby-sitter and then I will consider having you watch my child. Show me that your room is clean and then I will know it is ok for you to go play. Show me this activity is worth the time and effort that my family will need to put into it and then I will consider being a part of it. Show me that this budget will work and then I will be on board with the plan. Show me, show me, show me.

While I do think that it is important for us to think through important decisions in life and there is certainly a useful purpose for planning, this “show me” mentality is not what God wants from us when it comes to our faith. God calls each and every one of us to daily follow Him in faith even if we cannot always see it, or touch it, or have a detailed plan for it.

We can be “certain of what we do not see,” each time we remember Jesus on the cross dying for our sins and then the empty tomb as Jesus defeated sin, death, and the devil on our behalf. We didn’t actually see Jesus’ death and resurrection, but, through what God revealed to us in His Word, we are certain that it happened. That is faith!

We can be “sure of what we hope for,” each time that we celebrate the life of a fellow believer who has been called home to heaven. We cannot see heaven or our friends and loved ones who have gone there before us, but we can be sure that heaven is real and that we will one day be reunited with all the believers that have arrived there before us. That is faith!

I may want to have everyone “show me” that everything in this life will work out the way it is supposed to, but this can’t happen. Sin messes up even the best laid out plans that we make. However, God does “show me” through His Word the path that He wants us to follow. Through God’s Commandments we are shown what God would have us to do and what not to do. Through the Gospel we are shown the way to salvation through faith in Christ Jesus alone.

We can pray each day: “Show me Your ways, O Lord, teach me Your paths, guide me in Your truth and teach me, for You are God my Savior, and my hope is in You all day long.” (Psalm 25:4-5) Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to join us today at Growing HIS Kids!