Monday, May 2, 2011

My Cloud of Witnesses

Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God. Hebrews 12:1-2

My daughter is definitely not what you would call a morning person, truth be told, neither are her parents. Getting her up at 6:00 in the morning to catch the bus for school requires the utmost patience, but also provides for some rather humorous moments. Not long ago, the sleepy girl fished a pair of jeans out of the dryer to wear to school. It wasn’t until she returned home that day that I noticed she had mistakenly worn her older brother’s jeans to school. The three sizes too big pants were dragging on the ground, completely covering her shoes as she got off the bus that afternoon. It is still a mystery to me how she kept them on at all throughout the day.

Often as a mom I feel that the job I have to do is three sizes too big for me. Whether it is not wanting to make dinner, and declaring a “fend for yourself” night, or groaning at a request to read the same book for the tenth time that day. Whether it’s fumbling for the words to explain why we don’t wear the same pair of underwear three days in a row, or why a friend has died. Some days I am convinced it is too much, and I feel as though I am more times than not, ill equipped to handle the job.

That’s where my great cloud of witnesses comes into play. Not only do my witnesses remind me that the race is not one that I run by myself, but they also remind me it’s one where five star meals, sparkling white clothes, and well behaved trips to the grocery store are not even the goal. They remind me upon whom my eyes are to be fixed as I seek guidance to answer the tough questions, and who I can turn to when there are no earthly answers.

You have a great cloud of witnesses too. It’s your mom who walked you into your first Sunday school class, your girlfriend who answers your Facebook post with a story about when their child also wore something embarrassing to school, and your sister-in-law who calls to check in even though your turn to call her first has long since passed. It’s every other mom who has ever questioned whether she is doing enough for her family and praised the Lord when her children actually survive their childhood to be respectful, productive adults who love their Savior.

For all of the moms with whom I run side by side; I thank my God every time I remember you. I love the fact that many of you will actually spend time this week planning your own Mother’s Day “surprise.” I love the stories you tell, the forgiveness you offer, and the hope that you share. I love the fact that I get to raise my children with other moms who look to Jesus as the true source of their joy. I love my cloud of witnesses.

Heavenly Father,

Thank you for the great cloud of witnesses I have. Thank you for the support that they give me as I raise my children to know the salvation you have prepared for us all. Be with me every step of the way today, and help me keep my eyes fixed on your Son.

In His name I pray, Amen.

2 comments:

Thank you for taking time to join us today at Growing HIS Kids!