Tuesday, May 24, 2011

The Truth Will Set You Free

So Jesus said to the Jews who had believed in him, “If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples, and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.” John 8:31-32

In the past, whenever I read or heard the words, “you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free,” I always thought of the Truth about salvation; the Truth about Jesus. In the verses leading up to this, Jesus was responding to the Pharisees who were questioning His identity. But here, He speaks to “the Jews who had believed in Him.”

To those who believe in Him, when we abide in His word, we are convinced even more of the Truth about who Jesus is. But I recently saw this verse in a new light. I can see now that this is not the only Truth that can contribute to our freedom in Christ.

I’m looking ahead to a summer with my three kids at home, and I’m a little nervous. I feel like I need a refresher course in parenting. I’ve been wondering where to turn. There are a number of Truths that I can find in the Word that will be of great use to me.

When I’m concerned about the self-esteem of my children: Each of them are made in his image (Genesis 1:27), are of great value to their Father (Matt 10:31), and He has even written their names on his hand (Isaiah 49:16).

When we are moping around about our failures: For God did not appoint us to suffer wrath but to receive salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ. He died for us so that, whether we are awake or asleep, we may live together with him. Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing. (I Thes 5:9-11)

When they are afraid, God will be with them (Joshua 1:9). When they complain about chores, we can talk about working for God (Ephesians 6:7). When they feel like giving up, we can talk about seeking about God for help (Psalm 46:1).

God’s Truths about life and living are revealed to me every time I seek out His Word. These Truths set us free from the misleading messages of the world we live in. They set me free from the frustration Satan would have me swimming in. I am so thankful for the Truth.

Lord, in the midst of my day parenting small children, cleaning up big messes, breaking up fights, and explaining the way the world works – help me to look to Your Word for the answers we need. Remind me to seek Your Truths to teach me and my children how much You love us. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to join us today at Growing HIS Kids!