Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Faith comes from hearing the Word of God

Faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word of Christ.
Romans 10:17

My children all love to be read to.  No matter what time of day, there's always time to sit in a comfy chair and cuddle with a book.  Most of the time I'll hear, "Read it again, Mommy!", and I'm more than happy to comply.  There are busy times that I'd rather not interrupt what I'm doing to read to them, but then I remind myself that they're only little once, so we cuddle up and read.

When I was pregnant with Emma I enrolled the boys into a book club where we received 10 Arch books every quarter.  If you're not familiar with Arch books, they're great.  They're published by Concordia Publishing House, and the stories are all told with catchy rhyme and bright pictures.  (FYI, I haven't been paid anything by CPH to talk about Arch books--I just wanted to share how great they are with you!)  We've enjoyed these books for years now, and I've even split them up into the church seasons to enrich our reading time.

The wonderful thing with all this reading is the fact that God's word is growing our faith.  As our Bible verse above states, our faith grows through the message of Christ.  Every time I read an Arch book to the kids, every time we study a Bible verse for school, every time we hear the Word of God in church, our faith is growing.  It's something we can't feel--something we may not even realize is happening at the time.  But it is there.

Isn't it awesome to know that every time our children hear the Word of God, their faith grows?  Just from the simple words that go into their ears, that faith is increasing in their little hearts.  And what faith that is!  It's that faith that saves them from an eternal death--the faith that saves all of us from our sins.  

There may be times that you're stressed out, wondering just how much that your kids get out of church, or out of the devotions you do at home.  I know that there's times I want to pull my hair out teaching the boys their memory verses.  But think of this verse--their faith is coming just from the fact of them HEARING the Word of God.  How simple is that?  Praise be to God for giving us His Word to grow our faith!

Dear Heavenly Father, we know we are sinful people.  We know there's times when our faith in You is lacking.  It's a big job we have, Lord, when we think about teaching our children about their own faith.  We praise you for giving us Your Word.  Thank you for giving us faith, simply in those times we hear Your Word.  In Your name we pray, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to join us today at Growing HIS Kids!