Thursday, May 19, 2011

Priority Check

Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts: And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting."
Psalm 139:23-24


As mothers we are constantly challenged to be on top of everything...we need to be organized, have a clean house, cook yummy food, help out at school, have well behaved children, the list could go on and on.  If you are like me you have probably figured out trying to accomplish all this can drive you to the brink of insanity.  All of these things can trump the most important thing we need to be doing...Growing HIS kids.  I've recently been pondering some of the priorities in our family and been working on a list of reminders.  So far here's what I have come up with:


-Do my children know that God's word is a priority to me?
-Do my children regularly see that I pray about the big and little things in life...do I stop and pray with them at times other than meals and bedtime?
-Do I use God's word as I teach them, encourage them, admonish them?
-Is Scripture visible throughout our house...on walls, on decor, in books?
-Do I shield my children from ungodly influences, including those both in our lives, in music,  and on television?
-Do my children see me with my Bible open and being read, not just their Bible, but me making his word a priority for my own growth as well?
-Do my children see worship as a priority and a part of our family life?
-Do I ask them forgiveness when I mess up?
-Do I regularly encourage them to show love and grace to their siblings...and am showing them more love and grace than nagging and fighting?


Nothing is more important to me than raising my children in Christ.  If that means the dishes have to wait a little while, then that's okay!  Don't let the daily chores of motherhood push aside the most important one!


Heavenly Father,
This week as I am challenged by all the things that need to be done, help me to turn my eyes to you.  Help me to encourage my own children as they grow in faith.  Help me to make that my number one job to accomplish each day.
Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to join us today at Growing HIS Kids!