Thursday, May 26, 2011

Thankful

Who am I, O Sovereign Lord, and what is my family,
that you have brought me this far?
2 Samuel 9:18



In the midst of a very busy life as a wife, mother, daughter, and friend, I was reminded this week to stop and take time to give thanks and praise to God. Do I do this in church every Sunday? Yes. Do I throw in some thanks and praise into my daily prayers? Absolutely. But for some reason, as I was sitting with my Bible study girls this week, I was led to be specific about my family and all God has done for us.

In our Bible study group, we have experienced God in some amazing ways lately. One woman in our group delivered a beautiful, healthy baby girl whom we had been praying for for months. No one was sure if this baby would be born healthy and we experienced the fear of our friend who wasn't sure what life was going to be like for her after her nine months of pregnancy were up. And by the grace of God, her little girl was born healthy:) "Who am I, O Sovereign Lord, and what is my family, that you have brought me this far?"

Earlier this month, another friend went to bed one night and woke up a week later needing brain surgery. She has a husband and kids just like us and in an instant, her reality changed. We couldn't imagine what her family must have been feeling . . . especially her young daughters. In the end, the surgery was a success and she's been able to be back home with her family and on her way back to health. "Who am I, O Sovereign Lord, and what is my family, that you have brought me this far?"

God went before these families and gave them just what they needed each day. He brought them through a time of trial, and without a doubt, took care of them in ways we will never know. And as I think about my two friends and the journeys they have been on, I am so very thankful for how far God has brought them, but I am reminded of how far God has brought me.


I did not share that same fear in my pregnancies, nor did I have brain surgery. But I have been through my share of hurt and difficulty and I am once again reminded that God goes before my family and takes care of us. "Who am I, O Sovereign Lord, and what is my family, that you have brought me this far?"

He has been there through every relocation, some of them agonizingly painful. He has placed us in just the right places at just the right times, even if we didn't entirely understand it. He has put women of God in my life at specific times when He knew I needed them. He has given us courage and faith and the promise of eternity with Him.

And there are no words that can express how thankful I am for a God who loves me that much. All I can come up with is this . . . "Who am I, O Sovereign Lord, and what is my family, that you have brought me this far?"

Dear Jesus . . . thank you for being present in my family and in my life. Thank you for your Son and for the hope that you give daily. You take care of us in ways that we don't even understand, and I know You are always there. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to join us today at Growing HIS Kids!