Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Believe



“I will bless you”
Genesis 12:2

This weekend Pastor held a marriage Bible Study that my husband and I attended. It was really interesting. We talked candidly about how hard it is to be married, the various issues that challenge a marriage, and what God has to say about it. Of course at some point we ran into the passages about divorce and we got to talking about what our role should be as people who would like to encourage and support marriage. “What therefore God has joined together, let not man separate.” When God joins together, it’s the real deal.

I’m quite sure I’ve heard people question God’s will – like, is it God’s will for us to have a baby? Should we take steps to make that happen? Is it God’s will for me to take this job? And I’m sure I’ve heard people wonder if it is God’s will to keep a marriage going.

I’ve asked my own fair share of questions about God’s will, so you would have thought I’d have figured this out by now. But suddenly, with Pastor’s guidance, I realized that if God joined two people together of course He wants them to work through their issues to sustain and grow their marriage.

Sometimes we have a hard time trusting that God is in control.

Take Abram for example.  Read Genesis 12.  God JUST told him that he would make a “great nation.” He just told him, “I will make you into a great nation;.. and I will bless you; I will make your name great , and you will be a blessing.” A couple paragraphs down the road, Abram and Sarai are heading down to Egypt for survival during the famine. Abram looks around and sees that he could be in danger because of the beauty of his wife. He basically overlooks the promises God JUST made to Him. He would rather skip the advice and counsel and do his own thing.  He would hate to mess up the future he has, after all.  So he lies, and in the process his marriage surely must suffer.  He can't trust God to the details of keeping his marriage and his life safe.  And of course, God is not impressed.

God JUST told you that you were in good hands, Abram! He just said you will be a blessing – not a speedbump for a king! When God says it’s going to happen, it’s going to happen.

I guess that’s something Abram and I have in common. We both forget God has a really amazing plan. And if he says it’s going to happen, it’s going to happen.

Very thankful.

Lord, help us to remember that you are in control.  You have made certain promises to us and entered into covenants with us that are sacred.  Guide us to remember and understand that you do not do things the way we do them.  But you stand by your word and do not abandon your promises.  Enable us to trust you, Lord.  Amen.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to join us today at Growing HIS Kids!