Friday, February 24, 2012

They Need a Healthy Mom

Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." Matthew 11:28-30

Rest sounds delightful right now. It’s finally the end of the school week, but between the early rising two year old, the laundry, and the 8:30 basketball games tomorrow morning, rest feels like just a figment of my imagination. I would love a good two hour nap.

Physical rest is not exactly what Matthew speaks of here though. His rest is an all encompassing; throw every worry, every doubt, every piece of sin laden guilt out the window, kind of rest.

The devotion this morning is a plea from me to you. I sometimes think that the line, “She is always taking care of everyone else; she never takes time for herself,” can seem a bit cliché. This may be a reality for you though. As a mom, wife, and teacher, there are days when I am so out of patience and energy that self-destructive behaviors are not only easier, but preferred. But I do still see the proverbial light at the end of the tunnel. I know that is not the case for many moms.

For those of you who don’t see the light and have burdens that are overwhelming you, I beg you to begin the healing process today. Your children need a healthy mom.

*Seek Godly counseling if you need it. If you’re unsure, seek it anyway.

*Talk frankly with your spouse or a trusted friend. Find someone who you can be completely honest with and who will lift you up in prayer.

*Be intentional about setting aside time each week for rest, or for time away, or for healing.

Don’t believe the lies that you are alone. "For you are my rock and my fortress; and for your name's sake you lead me and guide me." Psalm 31:3

Don’t believe the lies that you can’t forgive and be forgiven. "Let it be known to you therefore, brothers, that through this man forgiveness of sins is proclaimed to you, and by him everyone who believes is freed from EVERYTHING from which you could not be freed by the law of Moses." Acts 13:38-39

Don’t believe the lies that you aren’t loved. "God sent his only Son into the world, so that we might live through him. In this is love, not that we have loved God but that he loved us and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins." 1 John 4:9-10

Luther says this in his Morning Prayer (My prayer for you is specifically the last line.)

I thank You, my heavenly Father, through Jesus Christ, Your dear Son, that You have kept me this night from all harm and danger; and I pray that You would keep me this day also from sin and every evil, that all my doings and life may please You. For into your hands I commend myself, my body and soul and all things. Let your holy angel be with me that the evil foe may have no power over me. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to join us today at Growing HIS Kids!