Friday, February 10, 2012

I Know That My Redeemer Lives

I have been singing the words to this hymn in my head over and over recently. It speaks of words of comfort and hope when I don’t know what else to say.

I know that my Redeemer lives;

What comfort this sweet sentence gives!

He lives, He lives, who once was dead;

He lives, my ever living head.

We got word two weeks ago that a Pastor’s family in our circuit had been in a terrible accident. His wife and two of his three children had been killed.

He lives triumphant from the grave;

He lives eternally to save;

He lives all glorious in the sky;

He lives exalted there on high.

There are no words to express such heart-breaking grief. I don’t understand any of it. How can I possibly explain it to my own children? A man loses his wife and two of his children, and a little boy loses his brother, sister, and his mommy all in one moment. This simply should not be!

He lives to bless me with His love;

He lives to plead for me above;

He lives my hungry soul to feed;

He lives to help in time of need.

By the next morning word had spread throughout the country and to other corners of the world. Messages announcing prayers said in worship, and personal petitions flooded in.

He lives to grant me rich supply;

He lives to guide me with His eye;

He lives to comfort me when faint;

He lives to hear my soul’s complaint.

Words of comfort have been shared by so many, but reading through the messages, it’s not their own words that people are using to lift up the family. Instead it is the Word of God they speak. Yes, God’s Word.

It’s the only salve that brings relief. “He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds.” Psalm 147:3

He lives to silence all my fears;

He lives to wipe away my tears;

He lives to calm my troubled heart;

He lives all blessings to impart.

God’s Word promises a new life to come, “For I know that my Redeemer lives, and at the last he will stand upon the earth. And after my skin has been thus destroyed, yet in my flesh I shall see God.” Job 19:25-27

He lives, my kind, wise, heav’nly friend;

He lives and loves me to the end;

He lives, and while He lives, I’ll sing;

He lives, my Prophet, Priest, and King.

In this Word, our Savior reminds us, “Let not your hearts be troubled. Believe in God; believe also in me. In my Father's house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also. And you know the way to where I am going. I am the way, and the truth, and the life.” John 14:1-4,6

He lives and grants me daily breath;

He lives, and I shall conquer death;

He lives my mansion to prepare;

He lives to bring me safely there.

And He proclaims triumphantly, “I am the resurrection and the life. Whoever believes in me, though he die, yet shall he live, and everyone who lives and believes in me shall never die.” John 11:25

These are the words; this is the assurance we can share with our children. “We do not grieve as others do that have no hope. For since we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so, through Jesus, God will bring with him those who have fallen asleep. For this we declare to you by a word from the Lord, that we who are alive, who are left until the coming of the Lord, will not precede those who have fallen asleep. For the Lord himself will descend from heaven with a cry of command, with the voice of an archangel, and with the sound of the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first.” 1 Thessalonians 4:13-16. We look forward to the promised resurrection!

Heavenly Father,

Comfort all who mourn with your Word. Continue to be with Pastor Geske, with his son Jacob, with (fill in others you know that are grieving), and all who need your healing hand. Sustain us until that day when the trumpet sounds and in our flesh we will see you! Come, Lord Jesus! Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to join us today at Growing HIS Kids!