Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Authority Figures

The one who speaks on his own authority seeks his own glory; but the one who seeks the glory of him who sent him is true, and in him there is no falsehood.  John 7:18

As parents, we are the authority figures in our homes.  We are the leaders. We are there to make sure the children do what they are supposed to do when they are supposed to do it.  And when they've done something wrong, we're there to correct their actions.  That authority has been given to us by God.  Proverbs 22:6 says, "Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it."  We strive to do this every day.

But how many times have you found yourself losing your temper?  How many times do you let little things slide?  How many times do you feel like you've been a failure as a parent?  I know I've felt like that, many times.  There have been evenings where I've cuddled with one of my kids, tears streaming down my face, praying that they forgive me for my shortcomings as a mom.  

The thing is, we can never been that perfect parent.  It's just not in us.  We're sinful human beings, after all.  That's why this verse from John warns us not to use our authority for our own glory.  It is up to us to give God the glory for our work as parents.  It is He that rescues us from our shortcomings.  God is THE perfect parent.  No matter where we may fail as an authority figure in our home, God is there to pick up the slack.

The greatest thing we can do as authority figures in our homes is to teach our children about God's love and his commandments.  Deuteronomy 6:6-9 says, "These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates."  In this, we give God the glory.  And God gives us the wonderful gift of raising our children in His love.

Dear Heavenly Father, Help me daily as I parent my children.  Keep me strong in the knowledge that You give me the authority to teach my children.  Grant me patience, and help me to always point them to You.  Help me to always give You the glory.  In your name I pray, Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful devotion! I have definitely sat in that chair crying and praying at the end of the day. Great reminders, thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to join us today at Growing HIS Kids!