Thursday, February 10, 2011

Heavenly Protection

The Father loves the Son and has given all things into his hand.  Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life; whoever does not obey the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God remains on him.  John 3:35-36

Most of my daily walk as a parent involves me protecting my children from harm.  I make sure they stay healthy by eating good food and taking their vitamins.  I watch how much TV they watch, and make sure they go to school and do their homework to keep their brains working.  I scold them for jumping on beds and furniture, or sliding down the swingset slide on a sled, because I don't want to see them get a broken arm or a cut-open head.  It's my vocation as their mother to look after them.  I want to see them grow.  I want to be around to see them be healthy, happy adults.

No matter what, though, we live in a fallen world.  There are dangers all around us, and no matter how we don't like to admit it, the chances are there that something bad could happen to our children.  We know that no one lives forever.  We've known that ever since Adam and Eve sinned in the Garden of Eden.  

The love and care and protection that a parent gives to a child is a type of the love, care, and protection that God gives us through Jesus Christ.  While we, as a person, are not perfect in doing these things, Christ is perfect in doing these things.  The most important thing for me as a parent is to make sure that my children are being rooted in the knowledge of Christ and what he has accomplished for us, and the protection he gives us through his death and resurrection.  

Children that are rooted in the knowledge of Christ and have faith in him, have eternal life in Christ.  That knowledge helps them to weather any storm that they have here on earth.  They stay centered in their faith--that Christ is with them for all eternity.

Dear Father in Heaven, thank you for giving me this opportunity to parent my children.  Help me in that vocation while I protect them from the many dangers of this earthly life.  More importantly, help me keep them rooted in their faith, knowing the love, care, and protection that You and Your Son provide for us.  In Your name I pray,  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to join us today at Growing HIS Kids!