Thursday, February 3, 2011

Little Reminders

Titus 3:1-7:  Remind them to be submissive to rulers and authorities, to be obedient, to be ready for every good work, to speak evil of no one, to avoid quarreling, to be gentle, and to show perfect courtesy toward all people. For we ourselves were once foolish, disobedient, led astray, slaves to various passions and pleasures, passing our days in malice and envy, hated by others and hating one another.  But when the goodness and loving kindness of God our Savior appeared, he saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit, whom he poured out on us richly through Jesus Christ our Savior, so that being justified by his grace we might become heirs according to the hope of eternal life. 
Titus 3:1-7  (ESV)


As parents, we have to do a lot of reminding.  "Remember to wash your hands!"  "Remember to say thank you!"  "Remember to come straight home after school!"  "Remember to say your prayers!"  And how many of our children, in an exasperated tone, say to us, "Ye-ah, Mo-om, I remember!"


No matter how much we remind them, though, there are times that they still forget.  They come to the dinner table with dirty hands.  They leave a party shouting "Goodbye!" instead of saying "Thank you!"  They dawdle after school, playing with their friends.  They go straight to sleep, without a thank-you to God for the day.  And we scold them, saying, "I told you not to forget!"


Thinking back to my own childhood, I can remember my parents saying the very same things to me.  Over and over, they reminded me of tasks I had to do and manners I needed to remember.  Sooner or later, those reminders sunk in.  They taught me how to be a polite, successful adult.  Yet there are still times I forget.  There are still times when I don't do what my mother chided me to do so many times.


Our Heavenly Father, just like our earthly parents, does the very same thing in His Word, where He tells us the Way.  His words tell us right from wrong.  He reminds us, ever gently, how we are supposed to act as Christians.  But as sinful human beings, we tend to forget.


But God doesn't give up on us, just as my parents didn't give up on me.  Instead of giving up, He sent His Son, our Savior, to die for my forgetfulness.  As our Scripture reading today said, "But when the goodness and loving kindness of God our Savior appeared, he saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit, whom he poured out on us richly through Jesus Christ our Savior, so that being justified by his grace we might become heirs according to the hope of eternal life."  What a gift!  What a model of parenting our God gives us!


As parents, we remind our children of many things.  But the most important reminder is the one that God loves us--that He sent His Son to save us from our sins. Even the times that we forget what we have been reminded to do.  We should remind our children that because of this, we shall live forever in the glory of God.  What greater foundation can a parent build their child upon?


Father in Heaven, 
You know how often I have to remind my children of things.  You know how often You, Yourself, have to remind me of Your love.  Help me to instill that love into my own children.  Help them to know that no matter what, their sins are forgiven through you.  Grant me patience and love as I parent each day, through all the reminders I have to give.  I pray this in Your name, Amen.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you Esther! I feel like I am at the end of my rope reminding my kids of the same things over and over. But God does the SAME thing to me. Good to "remember" :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good reminder today. Thanks Esther!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this! And you, my friend. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to join us today at Growing HIS Kids!