Monday, February 7, 2011

Taming the Martha in Me

But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, "Lord, don't you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!"
"Martha, Martha," the Lord answered, "you are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her." Luke 10:40-42

What do I need to be doing today? I need to be doing another load of laundry. I need to be writing that thank you note. I need to be _______. I could make a list as long as I am tall.   As a mother of four I struggle with finding time to give each of my children the one on one attention they need, while taming the Martha in me. And lately, I know my oldest daughter has gotten the short end of the stick.

So when I heard the words, “The school called. They think Abby might need stitches.” I should have been anxious to rush to her side. I have to admit though; my first thought was, really? Today of all days?   The tap on my shoulder came while I was standing at the committal service of a beloved man from our church. I can’t go now. I am needed here. There was serious grieving to be done, stories to be told, and dishes to be washed. A trip to the emergency room was definitely not on my agenda as I was making preparations for the day.
But as I went from the craziness of the morning to a calm emergency room, (sounds like an oxymoron doesn’t it?) I realized Jesus had invited me to sit at the feet of my daughter and, at that moment, be exactly where I was needed. In the E.R. we had time to do what is too often replaced by a list of other distractions.

We had time to talk about her day. I had time to hold just her hand, no one else’s. Time to watch her be nervous, and curious, and brave, all in a matter of minutes. Time to notice again what a remarkable creation of God she is. We had time together that cannot be taken from us.
I, like Martha, get worried and upset about many things. So I am thankful for a Savior who invites me to sit, first and always at His feet, and on this day, at the feet of my little girl, to show me what is truly needed.

Jesus, today help me keep my priorities straight. Guide me as I seek to balance the daily tasks of being a mom with the need to grow in knowledge of you. Give me time at your feet, and remind me of the gifts you have given me in each member of my family. In your name I pray, Amen.

3 comments:

  1. Ok, now I'm crying. Exactly what I needed to hear! Not my plan, but His. It IS a good thing He takes me where I need to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Each child is precious, a gift from God. The dust and dishes will always be there but precious time with your children while they are still at home is fleeting. Take the time to build memories and when they have moved out on their own the dust and dishes will remain. Mer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beutiful reminder to live in the moment God has put us in and treasure each opportunity placed before us!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to join us today at Growing HIS Kids!