Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Daily Get-Away

Hear me, LORD, and answer me, for I am poor and needy. Guard my life, for I am faithful to you; save your servant who trusts in you. You are my God; have mercy on me, Lord, for I call to you all day long. Bring joy to your servant, Lord, for I put my trust in you. Psalm 86:1-4

After being gone this weekend on a rare get-away with my husband, I returned refreshed and renewed. In the midst of Monday morning’s run-around, I was calm and measured. I was still running late (this weekend didn’t fix all my faults), but for some reason I was a better listener when my 7 year-old explained why she hadn’t yet brushed her teeth. And I was far more tolerant of my 3 year-old’s lack of focus when it was time to put boots on.

It was good to get away.

Last weekend I had a similar experience when I spent the day away from my family, including my nursing 5 month old. It wasn’t something I was particularly looking forward to, but I’d decided the seminar I was going to attend would be worth my time. I was right, and glad I went (and they all survived without me!), but had no idea how positive an effect it would have on all of us. I was surprised to find my patience transformed. I knew I had been hard on my oldest lately, but now I could hear my heart guiding my words and gentleness coated my questions.

I didn’t even know I needed to get away.

This transformation is waiting to happen in me everyday. While I can’t deny the power of an entire weekend working on my marriage, or a day of conversations with grown-ups – 15 minutes with my Lord can do wonders for my day. Talk about professional development! You’re halfway there if you’ve searched out a devotional reading for today. A couple of well-placed Bible verses in my house are frequently equivalent to an energy-drink. And thank goodness for prayer. That’s the understatement of the day, right? I mean, how many times a day do I take a deep breath in response to my child/husband/telemarketer and pray to God for the right words.

We need to get away.

The last few weeks have been crazy busy at my house. I have a To-Do List a mile long and I’m sure you do too. I haven’t been taking time for real devotion with my Lord everyday like I could be. Once again I’m reminded of how much I have to gain from a get-away with Christ. How much my kids and my husband have to gain, when I spend a little extra time in prayer and in the Word. I’m so thankful for this escape that can restore my focus and make me the Mom that God is turning me into.

p.s. If you have a minute, read Psalm 86…and check out verse 16. Being a Mom is so important!

Lord, thank you for these children and this family. Thank you for all your gifts and now I ask you to help me manage them, Lord. Help me to love and to listen. Help me to stay focused on You, turning to you time after time in my day. Move my heart to look to you. Amen.

1 comment:

Thank you for taking time to join us today at Growing HIS Kids!