Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Parent Love

There’s nothing like being a parent to teach you about God’s love.

My 3 year old is not sleeping lately. Well, she sleeps ok in my bed. :) But I’d rather she was in her own bed these days. So last night she was bound and determined not to be alone. She sat on the edge of her bed crying and carrying on about her fears for what seemed like hours. Every once in a while one of us would go in and try to reason with her; try to convince her to lie down and calm down.

But it was no use. She wasn’t interested in our plan.

Eventually I was so sad for her. Somehow my compassion for her was stronger than my frustration. I went in and tried to talk to her again. I wanted to wrap her up in my arms and hold her tight and I wanted her to feel safe. She was all worked up about being alone. Something about “mommy and daddy were going to forget to lock the door and a man was going to come into our house” and get her. Where did this come from? (I promise we aren’t watching Criminal Minds with her.) It seemed unfounded, but I’ve been hearing this enough from her that I knew it was a very grave matter to her. Eventually her exhaustion began to take over. I convinced her to lie down and reassured her I’d be back very soon to check on her. She was asleep within minutes.

How often do I resist my Father’s arms? How often do I argue with him about my plan? How often do I put more weight on my fears than on His promises?

Daily.

My fears ARE very real to me. My plans DO seem like such good ideas. I get carried away, until I’m just exhausted over the whole thing.

Yet, I know His arms are there to wrap me up in security. I know my fears are tiny compared to His Love. I know His compassion is stronger than my stubbornness. And when I finally give in, and fall into the arms of His grace… He gives me Peace. He gives me Comfort. He even gives me direction. And He does not give into my whining. He stands strong, knowing what’s best for me.

Read Psalm 103. It’s such a good description of our Father. I keep coming back to this part starting with verse 8…

The Lord is compassionate and gracious, slow to anger, abounding in love… he does not treat us as our sins deserve or repay us according to our iniquities. For as high as the heavens are above the earth, so great is his love for those who fear him… As a father has compassion on his children, so the Lord has compassion on those who fear him…

My kids have taught me a lot. But I am so thankful for the lessons about Love. About second chances. About Grace.

Lord, be with me today as I parent my children. Guide me to bring my fears and plans to you. Fill me up with your Comfort, that I may Comfort my children. Fill me up with your Love, that I can Love my children. Help me be the Mom you want me to be… and the Child you want me to be too. Thank you for your Compassion and the second chance that comes with your Son, Jesus Christ. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful verse, I could re-read it over and over. This blog is such a blessing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to join us today at Growing HIS Kids!