Thursday, June 2, 2011

Juggling

2 Corinthians 12:9
But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. 

Wife, mom, sister, daughter, middle school administrator…all of these are roles that I have been given by God and at times these roles seem to fight for my attention, my time and my energy. Each role is important and each has been a gift given to me by God. Overall, my report card as a wife is good, as a mom I am raising my kids to be Godly young men, and I am a decent sister. I could be better about calling though. I am sure my parents would say that while I did give them some sleepless nights and made some pretty dumb decisions growing up overall I was a pretty good daughter. Depending on the day, and the kids, I wonder about how effective I am at middle school administration but know that without doubt, this is right where God wants me to be. All that said, it is easy to be overwhelmed. 


Take today for instance…I just came home from work. Nine hours of training with a working lunch. I am tired. No, I am exhausted. I have two more hours of work to do before I head back to work tomorrow but my heart is yearning to head out into the back yard and enjoy some time with my boys in the pool. It is summer after all. It’s the time of year when things are supposed to slow down. My mind yearns for sitting on the front porch swing, eating a popsicle barefoot and carefree. Oh, to be a kid again.. 


But reality sets in. It is hard to not feel overwhelmed at times with our own “busy-ness”. Our list of “To Do’s” seems longer and longer even as we frantically try to cross off tasks. It’s hard to not cry out to God, “Why me God? Why is it you have chosen me to be in charge? I’m the one that doesn’t handle change well Lord, I’m the one that needs a solid eight hours of sleep to function Lord, I’m the one that gets bogged down in the details and forgets to see the big picture Lord. Why.” 


On days like this the Lord floods my mind with His words from 2 Corinthians 12:9. “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” I hear these words as they pass through my mind and I imagine the Lord sitting right beside me, his arm wrapped around me and him looking into my eyes. “Relax, I am God, and I am really in control. I am powerful enough to see that you make it through these tough times. Relax and let me carry you.” I take a deep breath, wipe my teary eyes and repeat the words that Paul shared so elegantly with the Romans. “I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.” I look up into the eyes of my Savior as he sits beside me. “Ok God, I will give it all to you. I give you my frustrations, my fears, my being overwhelmed and my anxiety. Use me as you see fit Lord and may you be glorified and your name be known through me.” One final deep breath of peace passes through my chest, my heavy heart feels lighter, and my weary mind more focused. 

It is tough juggling our many roles but the peace that comes from knowing that God is there carrying us through these trying times is by far the greatest gift of all. I pray that the Lord will provide you with peace and comfort. Embrace your weaknesses as opportunities for God’s power to shine through you!



Heavenly Father,
Thank you for all the roles you give us and the people we get to be with in those roles.  Please help us to have balance as we juggle our roles and peace as we serve you.
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to join us today at Growing HIS Kids!