Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Watch your words

Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart
Be acceptable in Your sight,
O Lord, my rock and my Redeemer.
Psalm 19:14

As mothers, our words are very powerful, aren't they?  Words take so many different forms during the day.  They instruct our children.  "The lake looks blue because it's reflecting the color of the sky."  They communicate our deep love and caring.  "I sure do love you, sweetheart."  They correct our children when they've misbehaved.  "Stop jumping on the couch, couches are for sitting."  

There are days when our words don't exactly reflect the type of parent we want to be.  "You're driving me crazy!"  "Would you just leave me alone?"  "Why can't you just stop fighting for one second?"  It's during those times that we need to take a break, step away from the situation, and turn to our Lord.  "Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in Your sight, O Lord, my rock and my Redeemer."  

How wonderful that the Lord is with us during every step of our parenting journey!  Not only are our words powerful to our children, but they are powerful to our Lord, too.  He hears our prayers, He knows our needs.  He is there to give us a sense of peace and joy when it seems like there's nothing going right, and you feel like the worst mom in the world.  His Word is there to guide our words, to help us show kindness to our children, and to forgive us when we need forgiving.  

Parents are not perfect.  God knows that we won't be.  He knows that we won't always say the things we should say to our children.  Thanks be to Him, though, for sending His Son to redeem us!  Praise to Him, for giving us words, so that we can watch our own words.  "Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in Your sight, O Lord, my rock and my Redeemer."

Dear Heavenly Father, We know our words are powerful to our children.  Every day, we need to communicate important things to our children.  Help us to choose our words wisely, and look to you for help.  Guide us in this daily journey.  We praise you for Your Word, which guides us in our parenting.  In Your name we pray, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to join us today at Growing HIS Kids!