Thursday, June 30, 2011

Until We Meet Again

“The Lord watch between you and me, when we are out of one another’s sight.” Genesis 31:49

In my lifetime I have moved fourteen times. My daughter, who is ten, is now living in her third home. When your family has moved around, as mine has, you get to meet and know many different people. What a blessing it is to have so many people touch and shape your life.

Moving is not always easy, though. While getting to know new people can be a challenge, especially if you are not overly outgoing, the hardest part for me always seems to be saying goodbye to the people that you are moving away from. You give hugs, wipe away tears, and pray that the Lord will bless you with the chance to see each other again.

The last move that our family made was at times difficult for our daughter. Nine years old at the time, we were moving away from the only home she could remember, as she was only two years old when we moved there. Saying goodbye to the friends that she had grown up with proved to be difficult. Many times over the last year, my husband and I have heard her say, “I miss my friends.”

This week, she received a special treat. She has spent time away visiting her grandparents’ house. Time with them is always very special and they treasure each moment. As much as my mom and dad love my daughter and could easily keep her all to themselves, they gave her a special gift during her time with them. You see, my parents live only a few miles from where we moved away from. My mom called the moms of my daughter’s closest friends and set up play dates and sleepovers with them.

We have heard from her and our daughter is having a great time. She is enjoying special alone time with her friends and grandparents. I’m so happy for her and so thankful that she has been blessed with this opportunity, but I must admit that my husband and I are missing having her around and more than once we have said to each other, “I miss her.”

When we say goodbye to people that we love, it may be for days, weeks, months, years, or even a lifetime. Each time that we leave and must say those difficult goodbyes we can be comforted by the fact that no matter what kind of distance we may have between us, because of our shared faith in the Lord, we are always bonded together and that the Lord is watching over each of us.

I miss my daughter right now, but find comfort in the fact that God is with her, and with me, watching over us until we see each other again. We say goodbye to friends and loved ones when we go away for a while or move away, but find comfort knowing that God is with them, and with us, watching over us until we see each other again. When the distance that separates us lasts a lifetime, we find comfort that God is with them, and us, watching over us until we see each other again in heaven someday.

The faith we have in Jesus is a very special gift and blessing that draws us together, even when we are apart from each other. And so, my friends, “The Lord watch between you and me, when we are out of one another’s sight.” Genesis 31:49

Prayer: Dear Heavenly Father, being away from the special people in our lives is not always easy. We ask you, Lord, to watch over our loved ones that we are away from right now. Bless our time apart and our special times of reunion. Most of all, thank you for filling our lives with special people whether they are near or far. In Jesus’ name we pray, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to join us today at Growing HIS Kids!