Thursday, June 23, 2011

Perfect

But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. 2 Corinthians 12:9

Last week, I took my middle daughter, Abby, to her kindergarten screening. This is an assessment done by her elementary school to determine her readiness for Kindergarten. I know mothers who stress out about this event. They drill their children to make sure that they know their letter sounds, shapes, address, phone number, and how to skip.

I am not one of those mothers. I made sure that she knew her phone number and address because we recently moved, but I wasn't worried about the rest. At the end of her assessment, one of the teachers called me into a little room where we sat at one of those little kid half circle type tables. She proceeded to show me my daughter's scores. She did well in the language, math, and social skills area. But then we got to the gross motor skills area. The teacher had a silly look on her face and told me that Abby didn't score very high in this particular area. She was in the normal range, but closer to the bottom. The teacher suggested that I put her in a class or really work with her this summer so that her gross motor skills can improve to match her other scores.

I smiled and nodded, but in reality, I knew this. My little Abby falls down standing up. She trips while walking and catching a ball is not a skill she's mastered. I have known that gross motor skills were not her forte, and I'm pretty sure she'll always be falling down steps and skinning her knees after she's tripped over something. And I love that about her. Really, I do. She's so incredibly clumsy, but that's who she is. She is not perfect, and no number of gross motor activities are going to make her that way, but I don't see her as lacking something. I see her as beautiful and whole the way she is.

That's how God feels about us. We are beautiful, whole, and perfect to Him--in every way, because His Son has cleared away every imperfection as we stand in front of God. Christ has cleared away our insecurities and our inability to trust. Our pride is gone and our worship of ungodly things is erased. And what is left is a God who sees us as perfect and loves us with a love that cannot even be comprehended on this side of Heaven.

As I stand in front of my mirror and wish I were size smaller or wish that I felt confident in my abilities to juggle life as a wife, mother, friend, daughter, and teacher, I remember that God loves me for who I am and because of the sacrifice that Jesus made for us, I am beautiful, whole, and perfect to Him.

Dear God, Thank you for giving us your Son. His blood covers all my sins and shortcomings. Help me to see my worth in You and know that I am perfect in your sight. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to join us today at Growing HIS Kids!