Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Live for Today

"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."

Matthew 6:34


At the church where my family and I are members, we often have several options for Adult Sunday School. For the next 10 weeks, my husband and I are attending the class called “Fully Engaged.” Have you heard of this book? The tag line is “How to DO less and BE more.” This sounded like a great, practical class for a couple of parents of young children. Oh, friends. What an eye opener these first two chapters have been! Already I have had to take a pretty detailed look at my life and answer some very tough questions, and I have to be honest; I haven’t liked my answers.


In the first chapter, we had to determine if we are burned out, rusted out, or engaged in various aspects of our life. I hadn’t heard the term “rusted out” before, but that is exactly what I am. The author, John Busacker’s, definition of rusted out has to do with just marking time or punching a clock until we can get to the good stuff. “When the kids are older...” “Once I finish school...” “When I get that promotion...” Does any of this sound familiar? Here’s what hit me the hardest. Our pastor had us answer this question at our tables: “What makes you excited to get out of bed in the morning?” What would you say? I know what my answer should be, but...


We all go through various seasons of life where we might be looking forward to the next thing or the next phase, but I don’t want to miss out on the life God has blessed me with now because I’m too busy marking time until it gets “better.” I’m pretty sure that time will never come anyway because each season will have its own struggles. I don’t know exactly how to become fully engaged in my life, but being aware of where I am is a start.


God, Forgive me for not loving you with my whole heart. Forgive me for wishing my life away rather than seeing each breath as the blessing and gift from You that it is. Help me to be fully present with You and with my family every day. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to join us today at Growing HIS Kids!