Friday, March 9, 2012

The Nitty Gritty

Cleanse me with hyssop, and I will be clean; wash me and I will be whiter than snow.
-Psalm 51:7

I love to clean.  Yes, I am one of "those moms" who doesn't like a big mess, and who is somewhat overly concerned what her house looks like at all times.  (My mother-in-law likes to remind me that she was this way too and as she got older she grew out of this obsession).  This past weekend I was shampooing my carpets, and was shocked and somewhat horrified at the actual state of my carpets.  There were unsightly stains from our dogs, crusty milk stains courtesy of Olivia, a spilled soda courtesy of my husband and general dirt and grime that accumulates from a combination of people and animals over a period of time.  I knew that my carpets were dirty, but I had no idea they were that dirty.  Because I both leave and get home when it is dark, the carpet stains are often hidden by the shadows of night, and it is only in the true light of day that the dirt is noticeable.  (Note to self - invite guests over only late at night.)

Like the ugly stains on my carpet that were hidden, my sin too seeks the darkness looking for a place to hide. Under a mask of self-righteousness, I do not betray my sin and shame, but instead judge others for the same sin that I am guilty of committing.  

Jesus knows.  In the light of Christ's love and forgiveness, sin cannot hide itself.  We have been made clean again through the blood, death and resurrection of Jesus...an Easter spring cleaning if you will.

Dear Jesus,
Thank you for your continual forgiveness and grace.  Because of your ultimate sacrifice on the cross, our relationship with God has been restored.  We no longer hide in the shadows of sin, but are washed and made clean each day, able to stand in our Father's presence.  Continue to strengthen and preserve our families and keep us ever close to you. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to join us today at Growing HIS Kids!