Monday, January 9, 2012

Baptism Birthdays

We were therefore buried with Him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life.

Romans 6:4


My son recently had his 2nd baptism birthday. We celebrated by taking out his candle that we received at his baptism and lit it during lunch and supper. We looked at pictures from that special day, and talked about the friends and family he saw in the photos. We read him a little children's book about baptism, and called our pastor so that he could say "thank you" as only a precious 2-year old can. We were not allowed to leave the table without singing his favorite "candle" song (This Little Gospel Light of Mine). :-)

Reese is too young to really understand the significance of his baptism yet, but we are working on building up in him to value what was given to him on this special day. "On this day 2 years ago, you became a child of God," we told him throughout the day on Tuesday.

I wonder... just because I have years on this little one, does the significance of what Christ has done for me through baptism really hit me completely? Probably it won't fully until I am face to face with my Savior and can truly realize the fruits of this incredible gift He gave me. Until that time, I daily "
by contrition and repentance" allow my "old Adam" to be drowned and die with all sins and evil desires, my new man emerging and arising "to live before God in righteousness and purity forever." And I can encourage my little ones to do the same as we practice forgiveness and spend time internalizing the truths in God's Word.

Do you and your family members know when yours baptism birthdays are? If not, why not make it a point to find out and then start your own unique celebrations for these special birthdays!


Heavenly Father, Thank you for the work that you have done to provide forgiveness of sins, rescue from death and the devil, and give eternal salvation for me and my family. Please be with us as parents and show us how we can daily support and encourage your words and promises, given to our children through their baptism. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Reese's mom--

    I am the publisher and editor of the Nebraska Family Times newspaper. I would love to reprint this devotion in the paper, with your permission. How can I contact you? You can contact me at shelly@shellyburke.net. THANKS!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to join us today at Growing HIS Kids!