Friday, January 6, 2012

You're A Good Mom!


It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. 
Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery.   
Galatians 5:1

The mom-guilt flows freely, doesn’t it?  It is really mind-boggling that so many random things can evoke guilt in us when it comes to decisions we make and our children.  We know we don’t have control over everything, so we pour over the control we do have seeking to do the best thing for our kids.  Or we can’t understand that we don’t have control, so we pour over every decision.  Either way, it’s not easy.  

Sometimes we ache over the “little” stuff: I don’t play with my kids as much as I should; I didn’t get Sophie’s jeans washed tonight; I don’t know if I should drag my son thru the torture of grocery shopping.  I could go on and on.  I’m sure you have your list.  I buy too many processed foods, I don’t read to my kids often enough, I should have said something nicer to her before she left for school, I wish we had enough money to buy him the jersey he wants.  

But the other day a conversation during some much needed friend-time revealed some things.  First of all, can we stop beating ourselves up for the things we think we don’t do?!  Ok, yes, that sounds nice.  And second, how bout we start celebrating the things we DO do!?  It turns out that me being able to stay home with my kids means a lot of things.  It doesn’t necessarily mean that I will read 4 books to them daily.  But it does mean that I am available to my one-year-old when he brings me “Johnny Tractor’s Fun Farm Day” for the sixth time today.  It doesn’t mean I can suddenly whip up a fancy cake-boss style birthday cake.  But it means I have enough time to think so that I can be sure and make the birthday girl’s favorite meal for supper.  It doesn’t mean I spend hours playing number games with my preschooler.  But it does mean that when I’m paying the bills and she climbs on my lap and says “Why aren’t we rich?” – we can take the time to have a meaningful conversation about how hard daddy works for us.  

Today I challenge you – moms who work full-time, stay home full-time, beg for money on the street corner – whatever your situation: Celebrate 3 things you are happy about doing as a mom.  Something you’ve done for your kids or your family or your husband lately that was a good move.  It might be unconventional.  It might not be anything like what the mom down the street would do.  But it’s how God has YOU serving your family.  Here, I’ll go first.  I let my eight-year-old daughter help me pick out my jewelry and accessories before my meeting tonight.  It was fun.  I took the 4 minutes and instead of kicking her out of my room so I could hurry up and be ready, I let her explore my jewelry box and fix my scarf.  It was a good moment.  I’m thankful for it.  What’s yours?

Insert YOUR prayer of thankfulness here.  :)

2 comments:

  1. Angela, Thank you for the reminder that I don't have to be a perfect mom to be a good one.
    *I started a bedtime journal with my seven year old daughter. She loves it, and it gives us time together even when we're not in the same room.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful one today! Thank you! I alllow my 3 yr old to cook with me quite often. This is something we both enjoy & shows me my patience has grown from younger years!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to join us today at Growing HIS Kids!