Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Too Blessed to be Stressed?

“My soul is weary with sorrow; strengthen me according to your word.” Psalm 119:28


I don’t know about you, but I always get the post Christmas blues. The lights and decorations come down; radio stations stop playing Christmas music and return to their regular formats. It happens every single year, and I have yet to find a way to prevent myself from being a little bummed out.


Sometimes I get the “mommy blues” too. Does this ever happen to you? That feeling of needing and wanting a break from the 24/7 responsibility of another human being? That feeling of every day being exactly the same but completely different all at the same time? There’s nothing really major to complain about. The children are (relatively) healthy and happy, life with the hubby is good. You know that, as the saying goes, “You’re too blessed to be stressed,” but you’re still stressed or feeling down anyway. When this happens to me, I find myself feeling guilty about it.


In reading the scriptures, it is clear that feelings of sadness and stress are not uncommon for followers of Christ. There’s an entire book of grieving called Lamentations, and one glance at the Psalms gives us even more proof. In fact, Jesus is very clear when He tells us that our life will not be easy. “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” John 16:33 I find that when the pressures of life and the sadness of this world are too much, those are the times when I more fully rely on the Lord. I don’t want to feel guilty for my real, human emotions. I don’t want to be told that I don’t have the right to feel negative feelings because that doesn’t make the feelings any less real for me. In my experience, God uses the difficult times in my life to draw me closer to Him.


I just wanted to encourage all of you fellow moms in this. Life is hard. Life as a parent is harder. Other struggles of this earthly life make life harder still. It’s okay for us to experience and deal with the unhappy feelings, even if our life seems perfect on the outside. God is there with open arms to comfort and forgive us even though we don’t deserve even a drop of His grace, and we can always rejoice in that truth even in times of sadness.



Psalm 30:1-5


"I will exalt You, O Lord,

for You lifted me out of the depths

and did not let my enemies gloat over me.

O Lord my God, I called to You for help

and You healed me.

O Lord, You brought me up from the grave;

You spared me from going down into the pit.

Sing to the Lord, you saints of His;

Praise His holy Name.

For His anger lasts only a moment,

but His favor lasts a lifetime;

weeping may remain for a night,

but rejoicing comes in the morning." Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to join us today at Growing HIS Kids!