Wednesday, January 4, 2012

come what may

"Father, I want those you have given me to be with me where I am, and to see my glory, the glory you have given me because you loved me before the creation of the world." John 17:24

My five year old broke her arm yesterday. It was a day for strong mommy muscle, intuition, and lots of sitting. I would rather that she not have broken her arm and I wish that she could go to kindergarten tomorrow with her winter coat and backpack on as usual. But she will be bundled in a blanket with a bright pink cast in a sling instead. Her resilience has been amazing to me. She is delighted with trying to write with her “wrong” hand and practices only the treble clef on the piano. She cries when it hurts and asks for help when she needs it. Could I ask for God to be any more merciful?

The season of fresh starts and resolutions is here. We’ve made lists and reflected. We’ve prayerfully presented an optimistic outlook on the New Year. The ironic part is that I wanted to show the Lord my own determination to set aside vices this week and instead I am being schooled in determination by my daughter. I wanted to be more intentional about patience and humility in my parenting, and He is displaying those virtues in my house by another.

I love the song “Blessings” by Laura Story
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CSVqHcdhXQ about how struggling is a blessing if it is what draws us to Jesus. I doubt many have resolved to struggle more in the New Year or hope for a personal trial, but it is true that those moments can reveal things about God that we may never understand otherwise. Those moments might even be the canvas for God to display His goodness and mercy to a world of unmet New Year hopes. As we continue our walk with our Savior, I pray that we would welcome whatever each day brings as a chance to be blessed and transformed. Even…or especially… when something is broken.

Prayer: Jesus, Healer and Transformer, You are the Lord of my life. Your goodness and blessing are beyond my comprehension or desires. I lay my life before You and thank You for Your care. Transform me each day through all circumstances to eagerly serve You with joy no matter what. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to join us today at Growing HIS Kids!