Friday, January 20, 2012

Alone is Not Lonely

Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. 
Psalm 25:16

My kids never want to be alone.

We were discussing new room assignments tonight. We're hoping to add two more bedrooms in our basement this summer, making our three bedroom house a five bedroom house.  The extra space will be nice. 

However, only one of the boys wants his own room. No one else wants to be alone. 

As a mom, I often yearn for time to be alone. However, I've matured enough to learn the fine difference between being alone, and being lonely.

Lonely is the feeling you get when no one notices you, even if you are in a crowded room. It is that angst filled feeling of no one caring about you, or noticing your hurt. 
Being alone is a time for quiet and reflection. Being alone can be a  treat. Feeling lonely is an affliction.

As I observe my children, I see that the distinction between alone and lonely comes with age and maturity. To a child, to be alone is to be lonely.

As moms, are we able to recognize the lonely that live and work amongst us? Do we have a friend or neighbor who is not alone, but is lonely? How can we offer hope and companionship to our sisters?

I know that in Christ I am never alone! (However, I still need a near daily reminder!) Let us remember to lift up our sisters and not allow them to feel the affliction of loneliness.

Dear Heavenly Father, thank you for never leaving us alone in our sin and despair. Thank you for sending your Son to rescue us, and your Spirit to comfort us. Help us to lead others to the comfort of your salvation. In Jesus' name, Amen.
 

1 comment:

Thank you for taking time to join us today at Growing HIS Kids!