Monday, March 21, 2011

Faithful God

Who is like you, LORD God Almighty?
You, LORD, are mighty, and your faithfulness surrounds you.
Psalm 89:8

We pulled onto the interstate. Our family was exhausted from a day of shopping. I was ready to enjoy a quiet ride home.

“Lightening!” my 7 year-old calls out. Chaos quickly overtakes the back of the van as my daughters begin the hysteria. I try to calm them and reassure them. They are somewhat satisfied - momentarily - but then the 3 year-old just can’t let it go.

“Oh no! I saw it again! Mommy! Lightning!” Then she begins the questions...

“What if Abraham and Jesus and God are getting rained on!?”

“Why will they not be hurt?”

“Why is lightening a part of thunderstorms, Mommy?”

“Why is that the way the earth was made to work?”

“Find a way to cheer me up fast!” she begged.

It was sweet how much faith she had in me to answer her questions and make her feel better. But I just felt like I didn’t have much to give. She was finally quiet if I would hold her hand. (You know how easy that is to do from the front seat.) And I knew I didn’t have very good answers for her questions. All I could think about was how tired I was and how sore my feet were. Can I answer these questions tomorrow? I needed a Time-Out that turns into a nap. My kids get away with that all the time and I wanted one too.

Thank you, Lord, that my Heavenly Father is never too tired to listen to MY questions. So glad that my Jesus will never check-out for the day, as I have occasionally been tempted.

At any time of day I can offer up my fears – lightening storms or otherwise.

At any moment, I can pray a prayer of perseverance to get me thru a grocery shopping trip or a doctor visit.

At every turn, I know my God is listening with a loving ear. He is happy to hear from me. His patience is never-ending.

And maybe even more comforting, is that he knows the answers to my questions. Unlike my pieced-together answers and - let’s face it – guesses about the way the world works, God’s plan was carefully crafted and He knows how it all fits together. He is in control, no matter how crazy my day. No matter how frightening that lightening is, or how it seems to be surrounding me – He holds me in his loving arms.

THIS is what I want my children to learn from me. I might not be able to answer their questions. I might be falling asleep as my 3 year-old explains how Abraham and Jesus ARE in the rain and they are getting wet. But I hope that when push comes to shove, they can see who I trust with my questions and fears. My God who never sleeps. My Jesus who knows the answers. My faithful, mighty God.

Lord, Thank you for being a mighty, faithful God who will always be there for me.. and my children. Thank you for your consistency. Forgive me for my inconsistency. Forgive me for not turning to you when I should. Reveal to my children the loving Father that you are, and teach our family to seek you and find peace in your arms.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to join us today at Growing HIS Kids!