Saturday, March 26, 2011

Got Milk?

NOTE: After I wrote this post, I went back to look at past blog entries and noticed that this topic has come up a couple of times already. It must be something that mommies struggle with on a regular basis, so I decided to go ahead and post this one. To read more about this topic click here and here.

“Like newborn babies, crave pure spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow up in your salvation,”
1 Peter 2:2

In addition to Growing His Kids, I subscribe to several other blogs that I keep up with on a regular basis. Most of them are written by other Christian moms, and while they are often inspiring and uplifting, if I’m being honest, they can also leave me feeling inadequate or lazy in my vocation as a wife and mother. Who has time to make 3 meals a day from scratch?? Apparently lots of moms do. I am not one of those moms. I’m sure the intent of the writer is not to make me feel like less of a wife or mother, and I’m also sure that these moms wouldn’t tell you that they have it all together either, but it sure appears that they do sometimes.

One area of my life where this really hits home is in my personal time with God. It wasn’t so very long ago that I just couldn’t seem to find the time to read God’s Word on a regular basis beyond reading Bible stories to my babies. I would read these blog posts from moms who wake up with the sun so they can have their coffee and devotional time before anyone else in the house wakes up. Some of these amazing super moms even get a workout and a shower in during that time as well! What a great idea! On paper. In real life, at least in my real life, that is just about as practical as making every meal from scratch with a 27 month old and a 9 month old at my feet. But just like the verse from 2 Peter says, as our babies need milk to grow and thrive, we need milk too; spiritual milk.

There is nothing more important than our relationship with our Heavenly Father. There are numerous times in Scripture that Jesus goes off somewhere by Himself, often to a mountain, to spend time with His Father (Luke 6:12, Mark 1:35, Matthew 14:23). If Jesus needed time alone with God, how much more do we? This was something I so desperately craved and needed, and I had to get over my perfectionism and belief that if I couldn’t be like those super moms, then I had somehow failed. The important thing for me was to make the time no matter when it happened. So, I have found my “mountain,” my solitary, quiet place where I can spend time reading and meditating on God’s Word. After the children are asleep for the night and the chores are done, I go to my mountain and spend time with my Heavenly Father. If I can’t start my day in this manner for now, at least I can end it this way. When I miss it for whatever reason, I can really tell a difference. Mommies really do need milk too!

Gracious Lord,
Thank You for the gift of Your Word that nourishes us in our faith and in our relationship with You. Forgive us when we don’t make time for You in our busy days, and send Your Holy Spirit to fill our hearts with a craving for pure spiritual milk that only You can satisfy. In the name of Your Son, Jesus,
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to join us today at Growing HIS Kids!