Friday, March 11, 2011

Got Wisdom?

Daniel answered and said: “Blessed be the name of God forever and ever, to whom belong wisdom and might...He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to those who have understanding.
Daniel 2:20-21


Daniel was in a position where God had just revealed to him the answer to King Nebuchadnezzar's troubling dreams, thus sparing the lives of Daniel and all the other wise men of Babylon. Daniel blesses God's name, acknowledges Him as owning wisdom and might, and then praises God for what He has shared with Daniel. Isn't it interesting that he credits God for giving "wisdom to the wise and knowledge to those who have understanding"?

Even though I trust in Christ, I still find myself in daily situations where I could use specific wisdom and understanding.
"Am I handling my toddler's behavior in a way that honors God?
How will I show my second child as much love and respect as our first-born?
Is the time I spend on my marriage reflective of the grace God has given me?"

I am encouraged by Daniel's example to be reminded that God is not a genie in a bottle that is to be consulted just when problems arise, but instead, He desires an ongoing relationship with us. As we remain connected to The Vine through regular time in The Word, prayer, and participation in the Means of Grace, God uses these gifts to make us wise and give us understanding. Then, when times of specific questions or troubles arise, as we are already in the habit of talking with and listening to our Heavenly Father, we can trust that He is ready and desires to graciously give us extra wisdom and knowledge to deal with our particular circumstances.

What a privilege that as parents, we can start influencing even our pre-born children with prayers and speaking God's Word over them. As our children grow and start making their own decisions, it's a comfort to know that God will use the time we have invested in growing their godly wisdom and understanding to draw them to Himself for the answers to life's dilemmas.

Heavenly Father,
Please draw me into Your Word and prayer with you on a regular basis. Help my children also to be in such a habit of learning at Your feet that when they come with specific troubles or concerns, they receive the extra wisdom and knowledge that You can provide. Help us to rest in knowing that You care for us and are generous with sharing Your wisdom.
In Jesus' name,
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to join us today at Growing HIS Kids!