Wednesday, March 16, 2011

God Our Father

Grace, mercy, and peace will be with us, from God the Father and from Jesus Christ the Father's Son, in truth and love. I rejoiced greatly to find some of your children walking in the truth, just as we were commanded by the Father.

2 John 1:3-4

There are so many things that I never thought I would hear myself say, or at least not have to say so many times, before I became a mother. “The plunger is not a toy!” “I am going to the bathroom, by myself.” “Chew with your lips closed.” “We walk in church.” “Stop licking your sister!”

Imagine, the number of things our Heavenly Father never wanted to hear himself say. “I am not in your midst.” “I’m sorry that I have made them.” “I never knew you, depart from me.” Heartbreaking words for any parent to have to speak.

But, these are not the words he speaks to us as believers. He has quite the opposite response for us, especially when it comes to his Word.

*My Word is intended for your enjoyment. Make it your pastime. Open every page, inspect every verse, share it with your friends, carry it with you everywhere. (Deuteronomy 6:6-9)

*Don’t worry, you won’t go anywhere by yourself. I will be with you wherever you go. (Joshua 1:9)

*Stuff yourself full of my words all day long. Let them run from your mouth. (Romans 10:9)

*Skip, run, or crawl into church. I don’t care how you come, just get here. Walk in the truth with your fellow believers. (Matthew 18:20)

*(I haven’t found an appropriate verse to address the “Stop licking your sister,” request. I will let you search the scriptures and get back to me on that one.)

John reminds us that God is our Father. And while God’s parental words call us on the carpet when we are wrong, they also assure of us his love and forgiveness, and absolute presence in our lives. As parents we may find ourselves saying some pretty interesting things, but guided by his Word, our words become ones of love and forgiveness too; always encouraging our children to walk in the truth.

Heavenly Father,

I thank you for your inviting, and reassuring words. I even thank you for the words of correction that bring me closer to you. May the words I use with my children today be a reflection of the love we both have for them. Help me follow your example as a parent now and always.

In Jesus Name, Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Alright Heather, you DID ask...

    Taste and see that the LORD is good; blessed is the man who takes refuge in him. Psalm 34:8

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to join us today at Growing HIS Kids!