Wednesday, March 2, 2011

They Better Mean It!

My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all, and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father's hand. John 10:27-29

The words of the song were proclaimed loud and clear. “God, you are my God and I will ever praise you. And step by step, you’ll lead me and I will follow you all of my days.”

These were words that I had heard my girls sing several times before from the back seat of the car, through the walls of their bedroom, and even on the front porch, but this time they were different. This time instead of being entertained by the volume and enthusiasm, with which the words were sung, I stood in the back of the church thinking, “They better mean it.”

Oh, how I pray the words of John are true for all of my children! In a perfect world they would hear constantly the word of God from me and from all who surround them. There would be no question that all would inherit the life that has been promised them through the death and resurrection of our Savior. All of creation would remain in the Father’s hand.

This is not however a perfect world. The world is a scary place for my children. No matter how hard I try to monitor everything they are exposed to, I can’t do it, and I find myself flinching at some of the things they hear, see, and say. It seems the only safe place for them is in my arms, and even there I know they feel the repercussions of my sin. This is where prayer and the power of the Holy Spirit come in. It is also where trust in the words of the Savior come in.

I cannot shield my children from everything in this world that would cause them to fall into sin, but I can pick them up with the hand of a forgiving God. I cannot keep them from hearing harsh words from a classmate, but I can make sure they hear His Word through daily devotions. I cannot sensor every message the world gives, but I can proclaim the message of Christ crucified and risen, loud and clear in my home. And I can pray that as my children grow, our great Heavenly Father would keep a tight grip on them when I cannot.

I am praying for your children today too; children who walk step by step with mine in following The One who is greater than all.

Heavenly Father,

Thank you for entrusting your children, to our care. Equip us to teach them the words of eternal life, and keep them safe in a world that does not always proclaim your salvation. May our children want to sing of your promises and your glory all throughout their lives.

In Jesus Name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to join us today at Growing HIS Kids!