Sunday, March 6, 2011

Sleep

In peace I will lie down and sleep, for you alone, Lord, make me dwell in safety.
Psalm 4:8


I memorized this verse  when I was 16 years old.  The Northridge earthquake had recently struck our home and it happened at 4:3O a.m.  Sleep evaded me, I was terrified of another huge earthquake hitting.  A close friend, living in Colorado at the time, sent me a letter containing this verse and encouraged me to memorize it.  I soon found myself reciting this verse over and over as the months of aftershocks continued.


This is a verse that has remained close to my heart.  As a mother, sleep is often hard to come by for a variety of reasons.  And although this verse does nothing to help with sick kids or crying newborns, it does bring a peace over me when I am up at night because of worry.  It's easy to stay up and worry about our children, sickness, money, severe weather, and all sorts of troubles we encounter.  


It's also a verse that I have found helpful to share with my kids as they are afraid of sleeping or having nightmares.  


We have a great God who is more powerful than any danger and problems that we encounter.  There is a peace in knowing that he always has me in his care.


Heavenly Father,
Thank you for the peaceful rest you provide us with to refresh and renew ourselves as mothers .  Please help us to remember that even as we sleep you are in control and watching over us.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you SO MUCH Christine! This was just what I needed tonight. That verse is going into my memory for sure!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to join us today at Growing HIS Kids!