Friday, August 12, 2011

Friendships Rooted In Christ

"As iron sharpens iron, so a friend sharpens a friend."
Proverbs 27:17, NLT

As I look back on the friendships that have been woven into the fabric of my life, I experience a range of emotions: joy and fulfillment to disappointment and hurt. In my life, friendships have ended because of my own selfish actions and some had endings that still leave me wondering why they ceased to exist. A few have survived years and distance and hurt and change. And some friendships are new and scary and comforting all at the same time.

In the recent past, I have learned a truth about God and friendships. I have learned that God wants to love us through relationships with others and that He knows our need for companionship and accountability even when we don't. God knows that as followers of Christ, we need friendships rooted in Christ that connect us to other people, but most importantly to God. He knows that it's important for us to be in relationship with those whom we share the same core--and that is our faith in Christ.

A friend rooted in Christ does not judge the mess of sin in our lives. They walk beside us and remind us where we are going and who God has intended for us to be. They challenge us to be more like Christ and they provide strength along the journey. And in turn, we can provide that same strength to them. Together, we can be Godly mothers, wives, and servants and we can make a difference to those around us.

I am thankful that God has placed Godly women in my life who point me to Christ and share in this life that can be beautiful, fun, confusing, and downright painful all at the same time. Through these friendships, I am given a small glimpse of just how much God loves me.

Dear God . . . Please continue to work in me through the friendships in my life. Help me to be more like you Lord. Thank you for loving me. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to join us today at Growing HIS Kids!