Thursday, August 25, 2011

Today's Life Lesson

A friend of mine has been recently struggling with trust. As we discussed this in relation to her relationship with God I asked her if she would consider putting her thoughts into a devotion. This sensitive topic is one we all can use wisdom on but for the sake of privacy has been "ghost written."

I’m suddenly in the middle of a life-lesson about Trust. I’m finding that maybe I didn’t fully appreciate the meaning of Trust before.

I took it for granted that I could trust. Trust them with my ideas and my dreams. Trust them with my secrets and my vulnerability. But not just those things. Those things are what we think of when we consider trusting in a friend. How ‘bout trusting that Reality is what you think it is? What aboutknowing someone? What if all at once all of that was in question? Betrayal reveals the true sense of the word Trust.

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart, And lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He shall direct your paths" (Proverbs 3:5,6).

This is one of those old favorite verses that I’ve always loved. I remember in college having it written on a scrap of paper and hanging on my bulletin board.When I got married it was on a plaque in our hall. I’m sure that framed piece is somewhere in my stash of deco waiting to be uncovered when we move.

I knew that I needed as much understanding as I could get. That I should not lean on my own wisdom. That I could seek Christ for direction.

But now I get it just a little more. We are not perfect creatures. We mislead, confuse, and hurt those we love sometimes. Few of us have those intentions; but we are sinners. However, God does not entangle us. Trusting in God means that I KNOW that what He says is True. I can identify who He is and what sort of characteristics He has, and I know that He is what He says He is.

He is Good. Oh give thanks to the LORD, for He is good; for His loving-kindness is everlasting. Psalms 107:1

He is Wise. “For My thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways My ways,” declares the LORD. “For [as] the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways, and My thoughts than your thoughts.” Isaiah 55:8-9

He is Forgiving. For Thou, Lord, art good, and ready to forgive, And abundant in loving-kindness to all who call upon Thee. Psalm 86:5

I am so thankful that I can trust my God. As I send my girls off to their first day of school, I can Trust Him. As I pray for my marriage, I can Trust Him. As I look to my faithful God for wisdom and comfort, I can Trust Him. He is the total package. For this I am very thankful.

Lord, Thank you for everything you are – and always will be. As we go about our day, help us to rest in your knowing arms. Remind us of your faithfulness. Comfort us with your consistency. Enable me to trust you with my day, my children, and my marriage. Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to join us today at Growing HIS Kids!