Wednesday, August 31, 2011

A Reason to Rejoice


Read Romans 5:6-11
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us... Not only is this so, but we also rejoice in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received reconciliation. (Romans 5:7,11)

Last week when my girls were playing school, they moved the dry-erase board easel out from the wall. I know this because its location is right in the middle of our entryway. (In our small home our entryway doubles as our play-room.) The easel had been moved out slightly from the wall at an angle so as to better serve the “students” in my daughter’s “class.”

For whatever reason, it stayed that way. The walkway is still large enough for a regular person to get thru. However, when a regular person (like myself) is carrying a large baby-carrier - getting past this easel becomes a challenge. When I have my hands full and I’m trying to get out, I have not done the smart thing: Put everything down, move the dumb easel, and save myself future frustration. Instead I literally swing the carrier past, putting myself and my children in danger, and grumble as I dash out of the house.

Finally today, in the midst of a rushed and equally frustrating morning, I did my one smart thing today - I stopped and moved what was in my way.

What a difference it immediately made. I laughed as I walked down the stairs - with ease - and thought to myself, about how such a slight change could make such an enormous difference.

These days I’m stressed. Like my fellow moms, I have a lot going on, my house is a mess, and I just can’t seem to find enough hours in the day. Any sort of balance to life has been slipping away these last few weeks. Struggling to fix it, I've been trying to get a hold on how my day should look... making lists and rearranging priorities... creating a new “schedule” to help me get on track. But instead of progress, I’ve felt like I’m drowning in all I have to do.

I know I’ve not been spending enough time in God’s Word - daily - like I should. While I keep telling Him he’s at the top of my list, it sure doesn’t look like it. My worries have taken over. My day is spent more in grumbling than in prayer. If I would just stop and refocus with Him, I’d probably feel a lot better.

It wouldn’t change my circumstances or “fix” all my messes like magic. I know those things aren’t part of the promise.

But just that slight move - pushing the easel back against the wall; opening my Bible before jumping in the shower (yes, I hope to get a shower tomorrow) - might change my entire day. I need a change in perspective and it might not require much time or even that much energy. I need to stop and move what’s in my way: Me.

Because it turns out Jesus didn’t die for me so I could spend my day beating myself up. He didn’t offer himself as a sacrifice so that I can be free to complain. His death gives life - a life of joy! His offering means I can celebrate, EVERYDAY! Because it’s not about ME and all the things I can’t get done. It’s about Him and all that He can do.

My kids will only be little for so long, I was reminded today. My house will no longer be messy, and the laundry will not be so overwhelming. After refocusing with God, I know He wants me to find joy in the midst of my messes. I can see that I will be a better Mom to my babies if I can praise the Lord in my messy kitchen. If I can give thanks at the end of the day when my to-do list is incomplete. If I can focus on my Savior and not my shortcomings.

Lord, help me focus on your gifts, instead of my weaknesses. Give me joy and thanksgiving today, no matter how much I get done, or leave undone. Your salvation is all me and my family need to celebrate today. Thank you for this day.. and this crazy life. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to join us today at Growing HIS Kids!